Intro To Art Class donates art

By Nyah Toomes

Kat Ross’s Intro to Art students created original paintings inspired by nine different queer artists in honor of Gab Week and the establishment of the Art House, a Recovery Bridge Housing program provided by  Los Angeles Centers for Alcohol and Drug Abuse (L.A. CADA). The Art House is projected to open its doors at the end of November, specifically aimed towards those in the LGBTQ community.

Ross chose this foundation to donate her students’ paintings to because the Art House was interested in having unique art on display that also represented its mission statement. Choosing the right organization was a process for Ross, but ultimately, the Art House fit best with the curriculum because it wanted visual art, unlike other organizations that only wanted decorations. The mission of the Art House is to “[provide] a safe, supportive, and affirming home space” and help residents “begin the process of self-actualization through affirmation of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity.” The organization aims to create a safe space for those who are queer identified and recovering.

While the residents are enrolled in outside addiction recovery programs, Art House provides a shelter for them, where they a free to leave their belongings, nand stay continuously for three months. In the span of 90 days, the staff actively helps each individual gain permanent housing before they leave the home.

“We are trying to stay away from cliches, such as rainbows and bathroom signs, which are really common tropes that students like to default to,” Ross stated. “This was an opportunity to give students more to think about in terms of queer artists and what they do.”

Students have emulated art from artists like David Hockney and Betty Parsons. Each painting is different in its own way. Even though some paintings sport muted colors and others bright, eccentric colors, all students are using acrylic paint as their medium.

“The art that I’m painting inspired me because it shows how happy [David Hockney] was and how happy he made people,” said junior Osvaldo Raygoza, “so I chose his painting [to recreate], so I can make people at the shelter happy.”

The Gab Week theme, “Think Kindness,” was what inspired Ross to create this project for her students to take part in. Ross thought that it would be beneficial for both the Art House and her students.

“It’s really cool that Ms. Ross is donating art to us, because right now, the place is looking a little institutional,” stated Susan Forrest, Chair of the Los Angeles County HIV Drug and Alcohol Task Force.

Through this project, students were given the opportunity to have their art on display for many people to see. When the paintings are completed, Ross will bring them to the Art House. Additionally, Art House offered to hold an art gallery to showcase all of the students’ work.

Art House is also accepting more art donations from anyone who is interested.