Blues Clues grapple with unsolved mysteries

By Kevin Pham

The school year is quickly flying by and it is the job of the yearbook stous four week process to encapsulate a whole year in one book. The cycle starts with planning, then coverage, design, and finally, laying out spreads for submission. The yearbook course offers a variety of jobs and activities that allow creativity to flourish.    From layout to photography, every aspect must be perfected before the yearbook is distributed. As  editors, senior Mikah Jackson and junior Angela Li lead a supergroup called Above and Beyond. Within this supergroup, Li is the head of a smaller group named Unsolved. Meanwhile, Jackson leads a team called Blues Clues. It is made up of seniors Caleena Sugiharto and Brittany Tran, junior Bibyan Guan, and freshmen Sean Flores and Gianna Galvan.

“I like doing interviews because it allows me to talk to and meet new people,” smiled Sugiharto. “Usually, I just do what needs to be done for a particular spread, but working with a new program isn’t easy.”

eDesign is the new program the yearbook staff is working with this year and many of the staff members are still trying to adapt to its difficulties. Despite the program’s constant glitches and crashes of the program, Jackson and Li have managed to maintain a healthy team dynamic and encourage the constant flow of creativity.

“I think yearbook is one of the most stressful classes that I have taken,” Jackson admitted. “Although I am constantly worrying about our spreads, the moment that I first took a yearbook class, something just clicked.”

Both teams, Unsolved and Blues Clues, stressed the difficulty of operating yearlong. The abundance of activities throughout the year means that there is always something to cover, so the staff’s workload can be daunting and overwhelming at times. Nevertheless, this class has helped students grow and not only develop their creative eye, but also their communication skills. In order to create a memento for the students of Gabrielino, the yearbook staff must understand how to connect with
    others.

“It has really tested my patience throughout the years,” junior Angela Li explained, “and even though it gets really frustrating and stressful at times, I genuinely love yearbook as a whole, deadlines and all.”