Catching the spirit bug

By Stephanie Foo

Looking back three years later, freshman year proved to be a time of embarrassing stories and regretful decisions. As I bashfully descended the bustling stairs of Gabrielino High School as a measly freshman, the vibrant buzz of the annual Club Rush greeted me with bright posters advertising each club. Cheers and joyful voices echoed from the quad. Perusing the options, I grabbed each flyer with hope and optimism.
    However, too shy and afraid to get involved at the age of fourteen, the experience of leadership and responsibility via a club slipped through my fingers. Now as a senior,
    the value of school spirit and involvement at Gabrielino is one of the most cherished
    memories of my entire high school experience.

Among the crowd of 1800 students, it is easy to feel like a prairie chicken in a field of eagles. As a freshman, I had the mindset that my participation did not matter. That joining clubs and screaming at rallies did not dent the booming pride of Gabrielino. But, I wish I had beamed with school pride while I had the chance. Instead of avoiding clubs out of fear, rallies out of fatigue, and events out of indifference, I wish I had rejoiced more in the opportunities.

Watching my friends run off to meetings and outings magnified my regrets. Further into my high school career, I eventually caught the school spirit bug, participating in rallies and activities like Homecoming Week. I’m so glad I did.

Getting involved at school has shaped me in ways that I will never forget. I learned how to build relationships, work as a team, and appreciate opportunities. Every club, activity, or event is a chance for me to explore a different side of Gabrielino.

High school is a malleable journey molded by choices one makes along the way. By choosing to get involved and celebrate the opportunities offered beyond the classroom, high school can be fulfilling.

And, as I begin my senior year, I can wholeheartedly confess that amidst the stress and exhaustion, high school will remain a precious memory for years to come because I finally found my spirit.