Baseball struggles through tough season

By Kelly Wong

Today, the Gabrielino High School varsity baseball team will play a game against Marshall Fundamental Secondary School (MFSS) at 3:15 p.m. The Eagles will attempt to showcase their improvement and bounce back from a previous loss with MFSS.

Last Wednesday, Gabrielino fought Rosemead High School (RHS) at home. Scores were unavailable at press time.

GHS played well in a close, hard-fought game with Mountain View High School (MVHS) on April 10.

The team performed its best in nearly all aspects of the game, playing hard enough to pave a 7-0 lead in three and a half innings. However, the Eagles allowed five runs in the bottom of the fourth inning, causing MVHS to catch up and eventually tie the game at seven apiece.

The game stretched into extra innings and ended with a Gabrielino loss, 8-7, in nine innings. Their coach, however, was not discouraged.

“At the beginning of the season, their lack of experience showed,” stated Coach Mauricio Hernandez. “I’m very pleased with their progress, and I’m looking forward to getting back onto the field.”

The Eagles also worked hard and demonstrated true sportsmanship during practices over Spring Break. In fact, without their coach telling them to, the team got out their bats and began going hard at work.

“We persisted through the days and dug deep in practice to play at a high level,” stated shortstop Andrew Loera, senior.

On April 7, GHS played El Monte High School (EMHS) at home, losing, 5-2, despite a last second effort by the Eagles.

The team also played against South El Monte High School (SEMHS) in an away game on April 5, but lost, 8-2.

The home game on March 31 against Arroyo High School (AHS) was a close battle, but ended in a defeat for Gabrielino, 6-2.

On March 29, the Eagles played Marshall at home and lost in a 17-0 forfeit after six innings of play.

Gabrielino played the Panthers on March 24, they lost narrowly on the RHS field, 2-1.

GHS baseball is the very definition of the word ‘team,’ because despite having only four players with varsity baseball experience the team as a whole is  able to work well together. It can be said that they are a small but mighty force, a characteristic that can’t be taken away by analyzing scores alone.

“[The] team is very good, there is no dissension,” stated Hernandez. “It really is a team. I’m proud of that [and] I’m proud of them.”