Boys golf swings to greater heights

Boys golf swings to greater heights

By Kaylin Tran

World Editor

Yesterday at 2:30 pm, the Gabrielino High School boys golf team competed against its biggest rival, San Dimas High School, at the Alhambra Golf Course. Scores were unavailable during press time.

The boys faced Duarte on Mar. 23 with a score of 201-277, and again on Mar. 28, 214-267, resulting in back to back wins for the Eagles.

“Our players have been scoring pretty well. We’ve had one of our best scores compared to last year,” stated Coach Steven Swanson.

The team practices with intensity for at least two hours a day on the golf course in preparation for their future matches.

Both Swanson and senior captain Sam Trinh agreed that the team dynamic is very positive. Swanson noted that the boys work together very well.

“We all get along with each other. [Senior] Timothy Liu’s crazy mindset makes everyone smile,” stated Trinh. “We’re a close team.”

The Eagles faced off against Azusa High School on Mar. 21 and beat the Aztecs 215-253.

In a match against Temple City High School on Mar. 16, the boys suffered their only loss this season, 222-212.

On Mar. 14, varsity golf faced off against Gladstone High School and won with a score of 212-286.

During the first two matches in the week before, the boys began their winning streak against Schurr High School on Mar. 9 and beat them 223-251, also prevailing against Temple City on Mar. 7, 208-220.

Trinh is optimistic that they will do well at the League tournament because of how well the team has been performing at every match.

His goals for the team are to head back to the League Championship tournament.

“[Liu and sophomore Osiris Cesma] are viable for CIF, so hopefully they can [qualify],” said Trinh.

In order to achieve their goals, the team plans to remain consistent. Trinh noted that the Duarte match on March 23 “was one of our best rounds as individuals and as a team.”

Despite losing many seniors last year, Swanson is optimistic that this year’s team will become consecutive League Champions, after winning the title last year. League Preliminaries take place on May 2 at El Prado, and finals will occur the next day.