School spirit in bloom at Spring Rally

Bren Belmonte
SPORTS SHOUTOUT Girls softball is welcomed by cheerleaders at the Spring Rally.

On March 17, Gabrielino High School’s ASB organized the Spring Rally, the last sports rally of the year, in the big gym. It showcased spring sports, performances from Cheer and Choir, and a class clash, before ending with the Prom reveal video.

“For our final rally, things went pretty smoothly,” said senior Reyan Nguy, ASB president. “We want to see people enjoy themselves and we want our sports [and] our other groups to be respected.” 

The video unveiled the Prom theme, “A Moonlit Masquerade”. It featured clips from the Los Angeles Zoo, where the event will be held on April 21, to the audio of “Video Games” by Lana Del Rey.

“I actually really enjoy the Prom theme, I’m really looking forward to going to shop for outfits,” said senior TJ Woods. “The location of prom, it’s not bad. I’m excited to see how it plays out.”

The beginning of the rally celebrated spring sports, which includes boys volleyball, baseball, softball, boys golf, track and field, and swim. Dressed in jerseys, pajama pants, tracksuits, and Hawaiian shirts, athletes entered to songs like “Just Wanna Rock” by Lil Uzi Vert and “OMG” by NewJeans.

Each sport cheered as they were featured in ASB’s video compilation of game, meet, and practice highlights. The video was followed by a cheer performance, who danced and did stunts to “Fergalicious” by Fergie.

“I think cheer did a wonderful job, […] I’m really proud with the outcome,” Woods stated. “I like performing because of the adrenaline rush that it gives me, I like showing my attitude, and expressing myself through my dance moves.”

Woods added that as the last high school rally for seniors, the rally felt fun but also serious and bittersweet.

“I put a different type of emotion to this dance,” he said. “I really enjoyed it being my last rally but at the same time, I’m a little sad it’s coming to an end.

The next live performance was by Chamber Choir, who sang “The Greatest Show” from the movie “The Greatest Showman”. Junior Sherelene Guo had the main solo, moving around the gym to engage the audience, which was larger than she had ever sung to.

“Performing vocally is kind of everything to me, so I feel really passionate up there,” Guo stated. “I wanted to make it special and I knew that I was performing in front of everyone, so I wanted to make it big.”

As Guo reached the a cappella part of the song, the audience began clapping to the beat.

“That was so cool,” Guo said. “I think it’s the most rewarding thing, as a performer, to get responses from who you’re performing to. That’s the best feeling ever, and it just feels like everything that you’ve worked towards is worth it.”

The theme of the rally was space, with NASA-inspired posters and ASB members dressed as aliens and astronauts. The rally followed a storyline where Sparky the Eagle, Gabrielino’s school mascot, was taken hostage by extraterrestrials.

“We tried to do audience participation, so that way they’re also engaged,” described Nguy. “If [people] didn’t actively participate, they can see others do it and also get hyped up.”

As part of saving Sparky, ASB chose members of each grade to participate in a class clash where players had to blindly find a chair once the music stopped. The freshmen and sophomores were eliminated first, and after running and diving for the last chair, senior Kevin Tanaka won.