Winter stars on the rise

By Jordan Liu | Copy Editor

By Bren Belmonte

Alex Hoe

Going into his second year on the boys varsity basketball team, junior Alex Hoe carries optimism for the upcoming season.

“Have a positive mindset, work hard, and stay determined. Those are the keys to success,” Hoe explained. 

Hoe hopes he can help the team beat out the competition with his experience from last year. However, whether they win or lose, his main goal is for the team to have fun together. 

“I’m just really excited to have a good time,” said Hoe with a smile. “Half of the fun is the game but the other half is just hanging out with the guys on the team and enjoying the little moments.”

By Bren Belmonte

Avery Tagle

Despite getting badly injured and having to sit out last year’s tournaments, sophomore Avery Tagle is ready to tackle the new wrestling season. He is eager to get back in the game and is hoping to learn new skills.

“I was pretty disappointed when I got injured since it was only my first tournament,” recalled Tagle. “But now I’m more determined to get back and do better and try and make up some lost time.”

Tagle is excited to build more friendships with his teammates and hopes that by the end of the season the team will be closer than ever. 

By Bren Belmonte

Ally Cheng

Freshman Ally Cheng may be new to both Gabrielino and the girls soccer team, but she’s no stranger to soccer. 

“I’ve been playing soccer since I was six years old,” said Cheng. “So I’m really excited to play with new people and learn a lot from the others.”

This season she is looking forward to getting to know her teammates and being able to show what she can do on the field. Even though practices have only just begun, she already enjoys the community and sense of familiarity between the team members.

“I’m hoping we play well together and that I can contribute and help others,” stated Cheng. 

By Bren Belmonte

Mia Lim

As one of the few returning players to the girls varsity basketball team, junior Mia Lim has the tough task of rebuilding the team’s numbers. Although she is nervous, she is looking forward to getting to know her new teammates and building strong bonds and team chemistry. 

This season Lim has stepped up as a leader and is planning to focus on establishing a good defense. 

“I’m hoping that we can go undefeated in the Mission Valley League for the third year in a row,” stated Lim. “My personal goal is to be a good leader for the new varsity team and keep our energy high.” 

By Bren Belmonte

Julissa Peña

After being inspired to join the girls wrestling team by her older sister, sophomore Julissa Peña is ready to pave her own path in the sport. 

“I’m honestly looking forward to the competitions and getting to watch and support my teammates. I definitely get inspired by them all the time,” said Peña. 

Although this is only her first year on the team, Peña shows passionate vigor on the mat and the desire to constantly improve. She encourages others to join wrestling and experience the team camaraderie.

“I think wrestling isn’t as intimidating as people make it seem,” laughed Peña. “It’s a very welcoming community!” 

By Bren Belmonte

Sebastian Jimenez

Armed with valuable experience from last year, sophomore Sebastian Jimenez is ready to kick off the new soccer season. 

“Last year I learned that I need to work harder and always be a team player,” Jimenez explained.

While getting into shape and building up stamina for games are his main goals, Jimenez is also looking forward to spending more time with the team. He hopes to become better at assisting his fellow teammates on and off the field.

“Everybody on the team is united and we’re all friends,” said Jimenez. “It’s just a really fun community.”