Aesthetic of a staff member
Aesthetic of a staff member
Staff • June 4, 2024
End of school year sports recap
Bren Belmonte, Staff Writer • May 30, 2024

Girls volleyball continues to dominate their league

By Kaylee Chan | Editor-in-Chief

Today, the Gabrielino girls varsity volleyball team will play a game against Rosemead High School. The match will start at 3:30 p.m.

The team expects to continue their unbeaten streak in interleague games with this matchup, especially because they have won against Rosemead previously.

“We should sweep them pretty easily because we have high expectations for our team,” said Jessica Succonga, senior. “Our skill set is more advanced than the other teams in our league.”

On Sept. 28, girls volleyball went up against Marshall High School, whom they have also won against. Scores were unavailable at press time. 

The girls volleyball team participated in a tournament on Sept. 24, playing against Verdugo Hills High School, Robert F. Kennedy Community School, and Bravo High School.

The team won against Bravo and Robert F. Kennedy Community, 2-0. However, they lost against Verdugo Hills, 0-2.

Prior to the tournament, the members of the volleyball team spent a lot of time preparing for multiple games on the same day.

“We are preparing hard at practice and conserving our energy by playing smart,” said freshman Jocelyn Chau.

The Eagles played against El Monte High School on Sept. 23 and won, 3-0. They kept the pressure up throughout the game, winning the first two sets by a wide margin while El Monte was only able to score nine points each set.

On Sept. 21, Gabrielino gained a decisive victory over Mountain View High School, 3-0.

The team played South El Monte High School in a matchup on Sept. 16 and won, 3-2. It was the closest game this year, with a tie-breaking fifth set being played. 

“The large scale of the team meant we could alter some lineups,” said volleyball captain Kate Hamamoto, junior. “We knew we were going to win so we changed the lineups around and some of them didn’t work as well. The game [against El Monte] was not as close as it seemed.”

On Sept. 14, the girls volleyball team won against Arroyo High School, 3-1.

The team played against Rosemead on Sept. 12 and won, 3-0.

Overall, similar to previous years, the volleyball team has had great success in their league games. The players expect this trend will continue through the rest of the season.

“I expect to win League and at least one CIF game,” said Kay Lee, senior.

Gabrielino played in tournament games against Poly High School and Ramona Convent Secondary School on Sept. 10. They lost both games, 0-3.

On Sept. 9, the Eagles played against Marshall for the first time and won, 3-1.

The girls volleyball team played in their first tournament on Sept. 7, going up against Westridge High School and Covina High School. They lost against Westridge, 1-3, but swept all three sets against Covina, 3-0.

Gabrielino versed El Monte for the first time this season on Sept. 2 and came out on top, 3-0.

On Aug. 31, Gabrielino won against Ramona Convent, 3-1.

The volleyball team took a loss against Schurr High School on Aug. 26, 0-3.

On Aug. 24, the team played an away game against Temple City High School and beat them, 3-1.

The Eagles played against Ramona Convent for the first time on Aug. 23, 1-3.

For the first game of the season, the girls varsity volleyball team played against Mark Keppel High School. While the second set was close in score, they came out with a clean victory to start the year, 3-0.