Performing arts ends year off in symphony

By Emme Tran | Copy Editor

IN HARMONY At the Spring Concert, choir performs “Homeward Bound” with soloists Isabel Gray, senior, and Joshua Phang, sophomore.

On May 18, Gabrielino High School’s choir held its annual Spring Concert. Orchestra and band held their Spring Concert the next day, on May 19.

Both performances were located at the Goodson Theater on campus and ran from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm. 

The chamber and concert choir both sang “How Can I Keep From Singing,” and “Alleluia,” while the chamber choir performed “The Road Not Taken” alone. The women’s choir performed “Clear Water,” and “Sing On!”

All of the choir groups came together to sing “Gloria In Excelsis Deo,” “Et In Terra Pax,” “Fly Away Home,” “Homeward Bound,” and “Ad Astra.” Senior Emma Sieh played all of the accompaniment pieces alongside each song. 

According to Choir Director David Pitts, the Spring Concert is the first of its kind in three years, featuring higher difficulty scores compared to the music that the choir typically practices for previous concerts. Pitts chose specific songs that previous choir students preferred. 

“Unfortunately, other than a small festival that chamber choir was a part of, we weren’t able to participate in any of the festivals, “ Pitts stated in a speech before the concert commenced. “But festivals, they are adjudicated, […] there’s a standard you have to meet in performing at festivals, and that’s what our Spring Concert is– it’s festival level music.” 

The next day, the orchestra played “Dance of Youth,” “Star Light, Star Bright,” “Confluence,” “Found/Tonight,” and “Merry Go Round of Life.” Pre-concert music was also provided by Concert Band members senior Alan Zhu, junior Liam Dowell, sophomore Joshua Soohoo, and freshman Oralee Tran.

During the orchestra’s performances, seniors Lauren Chiou, Gabriel Frank-McPheter, Jaron Lin, Audrey Phung, Otto Saiki, Sahir Singh, Trisha Tanaka, Brandon Trieu, Elizabeth Wakamatsu, juniors Kyle Ly, Kevin Tanaka, and sophomore Nathan Weng performed solos. Saiki, Wakamatsu, and senior Karin Wong also conducted individual pieces. 

“Since I moved up to first violins at the start of second semester, I found the music to be slightly more challenging than when I played in second violins,” stated senior Amanda Wong. “I had to use and practice skills such as shifting more often. Another thing I had to adjust to was playing with student conductors which generally requires you to be more watchful and attentive while performing.”

After the intermission, Concert Band performed “Court Jester March,” “Kentucky 1800,” “The Water is Wide,” and “Amparito Roca.” Concert Band and the Orchestra performed “La Cascara” and “Hallelujah” together. 

“As a section leader, I have found value in my responsibility to lead by example for the underclassmen to feel confident in their abilities, especially because the group is tight-knit like a family,” stated senior Jaylynn Lopez. “Building a strong bond with my section, fellow leaders, and Ms. Romero has allowed a mutual level of comfort and trust, which strengthens the commitment and performance of the group.”

Orchestra and Concert Band also performed on May 22 at the San Gabriel Unified School District Arts Festival.