Pixel, Pixel XL first Google phones

By Christopher Lung

During an announcement event in San Francisco on Oct. 4, Google introduced two new smartphones: Pixel and Pixel XL.

The differences between these two phones are the display and battery size.

These two devices make up the first hardware individually designed and produced by Google, which indicates an unprecedented shift in the manufacturing for the tech company. The phones have multiple capabilities and features along with high-end specifications.

Pixel comes in two sizes and three colors, which are named Quite Black, Very Silver, or Really Blue. The device is made up of a glass-aluminum body that includes a fingerprint sensor on the rear of the phone.

Accompanying the double-textured backside is the 12.3 megapixel camera, which claims to be the “highest rated smart phone camera” according to the DxOMark Mobile benchmark test, a test that evaluates technology quality.

These smartphones include a Snapdragon 821 processor and four gigabytes of RAM, allowing them to operate more efficiently. Pixel and Pixel XL can be selected in a 32 or 128 gigabyte option, starting at $649.99 for the lowest configuration of the unlocked phone.

The Pixel carries a smaller five inch full-high definition AMO-LED screen compared to its counterpart’s larger 5.5 inch quad-HD display.

Additionally, the Pixel XL contains a 3,450 mAh battery while the Pixel has a smaller 2,770 mAh battery. However, both phones claim to provide fast charging, equaling “seven hour of use from only 15 minutes of charging” according to Google.

The Pixel is not waterproof and relatively more expensive compared to Google Nexus phones. These two Google phones have become a direct competitor with Samsung flagships, especially after reports of exploding Galaxy Note 7 phones surfaced months after their August release. The situation worsened as reports of Samsung washing machines catching on fire emerged not long after.

According to Forbes, Google Pixel’s impact on Apple’s iPhone 7 “may be notable but not significant.”

Shipping delays and compensation to customers demonstrated the popularity of the phone. Google Play Store credits have already been distributed to appease expectant buyers facing the setbacks.

“If you’re wary of Samsung or looking for a worthy iPhone alternative, the Google Pixel is the high-end Android phone to get,” stated CNET.

The smartphones are available through Verizon and the Google Store. Both the Pixel and Pixel XL began shipping on Oct. 20.