Peer Helpers lend their ears to students in need

By Nana Horii | Staff Writer 

HELPING HANDS  Advanced Peer Helpers meet with students of all grade levels. Front Row (left to right): Advisor Chad Budde, Lesly Cisneros, Arianna Messier, Ihara Silva Benitez, Mia Olmedo, Mia Rojas, Mia Crosby, Ashley Bang, Manny Sanchez, Isabella Ortiz and Advisor Chris Saporito. Back Row (left to right): Emilia Esseln, Emma Shelton, Vanessa Wang, Alexander Valandrano, Jorge De La Cruz, Kai R. Cruz, Zoe Phoung, Taylor Lee and Desiree Estrada. Not pictured: Sofia Meza and Sumin Ryoo.

Twenty years ago, the mental health of students was not something faculty members prioritized. One program offered at Gabrielino High School, originating from Jefferson Middle School, changed that. 

Peer Helping, taught by world history teacher Chad Budde, is a program on campus where students are trained to be peer counselors and offer an ear for troubles that students may have. Learning a variety of skills and different subjects to aid them, Peer Helping is a way to focus on the mental health of students and acts as a support system for students to rely on. Chris Saporito, Wellness Center Counselor, had established the program at Jefferson so students could have a trustworthy group of peers to confide in. 

Peer Helping is a class, as well as a program, separated into three sections. Peer Helping 1 is where students learn about communication skills that will train them to become an effective Peer Helper. The course also educates students on problems that teens may face, such as eating disorders, depression, and anxiety. Students come to Peer Helping for a wide range of reasons, from relationship problems all the way to issues concerning academics. 

“All of the activities Mr. Budde does, it contributes to how we can be a good Peer Helper,” junior Evelina Ngyuen, a Peer Helping 1 student explained. “[Some days] he would ask [about] a controversial topic, and we would all give our opinions. That’s where we practice our listening and [communication] skills.” 

The second section, Peer Helping 2, is where students will actually engage in sessions with counselees. Sessions are conducted twice a week on Thursdays and Peer Helpers can have as much as four counselees at a time. Many students take the opportunity to use the program, going to Peer Helpers so they can have someone listen to their troubles. There is currently a waiting list, partly because of the popularity but also because of the low number of Peer Helpers. 

“I know there there’s still students suffering from what happened in the past two years or so. I wish they had more Peer Helpers because then we could take in more students and maybe get ourselves out there more, but we’re so limited to what we can do now,” lamented senior Peer Helper, Kai Rongavilla Cruz. 

Cruz has noted that there have been several of his counselees that have come to the point where they no longer need the support, and can stand on their own two feet.  

“I always say the skills that we teach in Peer Helping should be skills that every human being learns,” Budde explained. “Particularly how to deal with conflict, how to empathize, how to connect with people’s feelings, how to make good decisions. I hear from parents who will tell me ‘I don’t know what you did, but my student is so much more pleasant to be around.’” 

Cruz added, “Peer Helping is like a family and our arms are always open to let you in. And if you ever feel like you want to help others through your experiences or be the vent for someone to speak to, come join us.”