Trump’s plan for education

By Venisa Wang

With Donald Trump’s surprising win as the 45th President of the United States, questions and concerns about his impact on education have risen. However, Trump has claimed in various trustworthy E! Hollywood interviews that his views on education are to be trusted.

In Trump’s 2016 campaign, he released a statement concerning education, he mentioned that as president, he will “establish the national goal of providing school choice to every American child living in poverty.” He then explained that if Americans can put a man on the moon, then he can provide education to disadvantaged youths. As if putting a man on the moon was easy!

Trump urged that we “collectively contribute another $110 billion of [our] own education budgets toward school choice […] to every single K-12 student who today is living in poverty.” But cutting through the flowery language, Trump has essentially asking states to conjure up the funds on their own; how are we supposed to do that when we intended for the president to do that job for us?

From Trump’s two main contentions, it is easy to see that while the education policy is moving in a different direction, Trump is deliberately redirecting public schools to his private businesses to make profit, just like how he easily established Trump University.

With such big plans set in stone for Americans, many have speculated the likelihood of Trump following through with his statements on education. There’s obviously more to Trump than what is said in the E! Hollywoods interviews, but his fair efforts to help the poor definitely earn a passing grade in my book.