Gabrielino says goodbye, good luck to Villalobos

By Halle Fukawa | Editor in Chief

Villalobos was Gabrielino’s Main Office clerk for two years before moving to Coolidge Elementary School.
Photo courtesy of Stephanie Villalobos

“My favorite part of Gab is the staff and the students that I was able to meet and work with.”

This month, Gabrielino High School said goodbye to the Main Office clerk Stephanie Villalobos, who was promoted to office manager for Coolidge Elementary School. Kevin Weir has since moved positions from the Student Center to perform the clerk responsibilities for the Main Office.

After working at the San Gabriel Unified School District office for three years, Villalobos came to  Gabrielino in July of 2019. She replaced Cheryl Main, who had held the position for over 15 years. 

Within her short time at the school, Villalobos has contributed more than her share of hard work.

“Mrs. Villalobos had a great impact on the GHS family, especially during Virtual Academy.  She was the one responsible for keeping the GHS website up to date, constantly adding information and designing the layout so that information was easier to find,” explained Edith Gonzalez, physical education teacher and ASB Co-Advisor. “And she did it all with efficiency, energy, and enthusiasm!”

Villalobos worked a number of different duties, including entering supply orders, contacting substitute teachers, and providing information about Gabrielino through the phone. Last year, she played an integral part in organizing the Drive-Thru Cap & Gown Pickup and Graduation. 

While the work she put into her job was undeniably important, her interactions with students and her fellow staff members were especially praised. 

“Ms. Villalobos was always willing to help- no matter what the project,” said Principal Sharron Heinrich. “She really enjoyed working with our teachers, staff, and students, and would find ways to ensure events were run efficiently and still be fun.”

Indeed, Villalobos was known for her school spirit and energy as much as she was for her efficiency. She was known to participate in Spirit Weeks, Halloween parties, and door decorating contests.

“My favorite memory of Mrs. Villalobos is when she would rock her Wonder Woman gear! It reminded me of how appreciative I was to have her here at GHS,” stated Gonzalez. “Unbeknownst to her, her gear was also an inspiration and served as a reminder to keep going during this challenging time.”

As a tribute to the tireless work Villalobos has put in during her time at Gabrielino, ASB decided to collect messages and photos from students thanking her and wishing her luck at Coolidge. 

“During ASB everyone was discussing Mrs. Villalobos’ transfer and we all wanted to do something nice for her,” explained junior Courtney Yu, ASB Commissioner of the Office of Elections and Recognition. “One of the members remembered Yearbook using Kudoboards last year to collect yearbook signatures, so we were inspired by that!”

Although many Eagles will miss having her on campus, Coolidge has gained a dedicated member to their community.

“I am so very grateful and humbled by the people that I came to know at Gabrielino,” said Villalobos.  “It was a wonderful and different kind of challenge than I had previously experienced, but challenges make us grow, and I will always value and cherish my time there. Go Eagles!”