Red Cross Blood Drive brings community together

By Vanessa Wang | Junior Editor

Elk Grove Citizen

“This blood drive serves as a means to bring our community together through service. In a way, donating blood is an act of service for those who need it,” explained senior Kelly Tran, ASB president.

Yesterday from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m., Gabrielino High School and the Red Cross hosted a community blood drive at the Adult Recreation Center inside the Padillo Room and Lounge in San Gabriel. The blood donations were done by appointment to maintain a safe environment.

Since the blood drive was city-wide and not held on the school campus like in the past, the Red Cross was in charge of most of the duties, while Gabrielino ASB had more minor jobs. The students were mainly responsible for spreading the word about the blood drive and getting as many people as possible to donate.

“The effects of the pandemic massively cut down the workload of organizing the blood drive this year,” explained Joann Ma, senior class vice president.  

Special measures were taken to ensure the safety of everyone involved. The process required virtually no contact; all donations were appointment-based, and all blood donors completed pre-donation reading and health-related questions.

“We have seen first-hand hospitals become flooded with patients […] and the demand for blood is always high,” Tran said. “As a community, we should [do our part by] donating blood. Especially if you’ve had COVID before and now have the antibodies in your blood.” 

Having Gabrielino host a blood drive encourages students that meet the qualifications to donate blood to those who need it. Although it seems like a small act, one donation can make a large impact on a person’s life.

“We really underestimate it but one pint of blood can save up to three lives, and every two seconds, someone in the U.S. is in need of [it],” said Ma. 

High schoolers are in a special position when it comes to blood drives. Not everyone is able to donate blood, particularly older people, so their youth gives them the ability to help when others cannot.

“Many times, adults find themselves too busy to donate blood, or cannot due to other health reasons.” Tran pointed out. “Getting the youth involved starts the blood donation trend that many people continue into their adult years.”

To encourage people to participate, the Red Cross provided the blood drive with some incentives to encourage more blood donations. All donors were entered to win two tickets to the Super Bowl LVI happening in 2022 and the Super Bowl Experience, along with entry to the official NFL Tailgate, round-trip airfare to Los Angeles, three-night hotel accommodations, and a $500 gift card. Not only that, but they were also automatically entered to win the Big Game at Home package that includes a 65-inch television and a $500 gift card.

For the people of San Gabriel, quarantine and isolation have made many feel alone and helpless. The blood drive provided a sense of togetherness by allowing people to give to those in need and unite for a common purpose.

“When we work together towards a common goal, getting blood donations,” said Ma, “it brings us closer. It also gives back to […] and helps those in need within our community.”