Screamin’ Eagles compete, win at James Logan Tournament

By Ashley Lau | Staff Writer

During the weekend of Jan. 17, the Gabrielino High School Speech Team, the Screamin’ Eagles, were invited to compete in the James Logan Speech Tournament. This tournament is typically held at the James Logan High School in Union City, CA, but as schools take on distance learning speech members attended this tournament from the comfort of their own homes.

The James Logan Tournament is an invitational, where typically only a select number of students can ride up and stay the night in Union City, but since this year everything has converted online, every varsity member could attend.

“We have attended the tournament every year since 1999,” Speech and Debate coach Derek Yuill stated. “Obviously it’s not the same without the seven hour bus ride, the weekend at the hotel, the school food, hotel breakfast buffet, and chilly northern California weather, but the students still got to compete against some of the best speakers and debaters in all of America.”

This year the Screamin’ Eagles placed as one of the top five schools out of 98, ranging from 14 different states with almost 1,300 competitors. Out of the 42 entries from Gabrielino students, 27 students made it to the quarter-finals, 15 students made it to the semi-finals, and 8 students made it into the final round of the competition.

Varsity member Megan Chan won the Oratorical Interpretation event, winning a $100 scholarship along with James Logan High School additionally donating $100 in her name to a social justice cause of her choosing. With so much competition and the additional hurdle of performing online, the reward did not come easy.

“One of the biggest drawbacks of performing online is that we have to try two times as hard to make a presence for ourselves amongst seven other speakers in a round. Strong speakers usually carry an impactful demeanor into the room and usually, you could just sense it the moment they walk in, but with performing online, the ability to do so has been restricted.” stated Chan. “I really liked my speeches this year and so I think, or at least I hope, the passion I have, naturally conveyed itself to the audience.”

For senior competitors who have competed in the in-person James Logan Tournaments previously, it is easy to look down on virtual tournaments. However, many are still able to find meaning in their performances.

“This year, I’ve been able to step back and reflect on why we do speech, why we perform, and why humor matters in times such as these,” senior Noemi Liu explained. “Undoubtedly, there have been bouts of apathy and misdirection, yet I find myself constantly coming back to the quintessential truth that speech provides an arena for self-expression and joy of the highest order.”

This year, with everything online, the Screamin’ Eagles have managed to bring everything they have into this year’s competition. While no one can say that performances are still the same, what can be said is that through everything, the Screamin’ Eagles have continued their tradition of passion, whether it be in-person or online.

“They have all year long at tournaments at Yale, Cal. St. Long Beach, Illinois, and Indiana, and certainly tournaments in the So. Cal area,” exclaimed Yuill. “The Screamin’ Eagles represented Gabrielino HS exceptionally well!”