Girls golf “putts” themselves into CIF

By Rodin Batcheller

Sports editor

The girls golf team will make it to the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) playoffs for the fifth time in a row this year, competing against 22 other schools in the first round where only the top three teams move onto the second round. Although the team has never advanced pass the first round, head coach Steve Swanson looks to change that.

“We’re improving quite a bit, the playoffs are really tough, so we hope we do well.” stated the coach confidently.

The team will be sending its top six players to the CIF playoffs to compete on Monday.

The Lady Eagles also have two new faces in freshmen Casey Chenh and Casey Le who are impressing their coach.

“We’re getting closer as a team,” said team captain, May Tang. “I have faith in this team, I know we’ll do good [in the playoffs].”

GHS played Alhambra High School (AHS) on Oct. 13 and beat them thoroughly 215-345 in their last season match.

On Oct. 11 the team swung their best against the Rowland High School (RHS) Raiders, but fell to the raiders 225-212, despite playing a good game.

GHS took on the South Pasadena High School (SPHS) Tigers on Oct. 6, but ended up losing narrowly 208-197.

Before the loss, the girls were on a three-game win streak, beating Webb High School 245-343 on Oct. 4, Azusa High School 213-315 on Sept. 29, and 216-292 against Alhambra High School two days before that.

GHS did, however, suffer two losses before snapping the losing streak with the win streak, both were close games. On Sept. 22 the team lost 282-254 to the RHS Raiders and to the SPHS Tigers 217-201 on Sept. 20.

The team started off their season with a three-game win streak against an out-of-league game against San Marino on Sept. 8, Azusa High School on Sept. 13, both forfeits, and Webb High School on Sept. 15 218-305.