Acknowledging essential workers for their service, sacrifices

By Ashley Sanchez | Staff Writer 

OAAPN

The continuous fluctuation in COVID-19 cases has had many ups and downs for all, and those who have helped everyone brave this roller coaster are the overlooked and the underpaid— the essential workers. This includes bus drivers, grocery store workers, nurses, security guards, and many more.

Since the very beginning of the pandemic, essential workers have been manning the front lines, potentially putting their health at risk as they work tirelessly. They wear masks, gloves, and sanitize while working hours on end.

According to the Department of Homeland Security, there are 90 million essential workers nationwide, people consisting from health care workers to fast food workers, and it has not been easy for them.

In an interview with The Guardian, cashier Terri Prunty revealed how the treatment from customers brought her to a breaking point. Prunty stated, “It’s been a nightmare. The first three months there were item limits. Everyone was angry and combative.”

Prunty is an example of the millions of workers who have dealt with this stress while working in the pandemic. “It’s exhausting, mentally, emotionally and physically,” she added.

In August 2020, a national poll arranged by Eagle Hill Consulting revealed that 58 percent of essential workers reported to be burnt out compared to the poll conducted in April at 45 percent. The understaffing, increased workloads and anxiety driven by the fear of getting COVID-19 has been a struggle for these workers.

At the end of the day, essential workers are not fighting for the sole purpose of praise, they are fighting for themselves in a system that continuously devalues not only their work, but their importance as well. 

In a social media post, a young nurse spoke on the hurt she felt after being referred to as “just a CNA.” “Sometimes it’s overwhelming,” she stated. “Sometimes you get burnt out. Some days you just feel like you want to quit. But then you’ve got them residents that’s depending on you…that touch your heart.”

Especially as they are continuously devalued, it is pivotal that our workers are not just simply marked heroes. Instead, it is important to continuously acknowledge and give gratitude for all the hard work they have done and continue to do.