Trick-or-treat-less Halloween

By Jady Ojeda

Staff writer

Halloween marks the return of autumn. Jack-o’-lanterns start showing up on doorsteps and spider webs begin to hang from walls. But most importantly, the time to plan out how to spend this spooky holiday has come. Here are some fun ideas on how to spend some quality time with friends and family this Halloween without trick-or-treating.

1. Whip up some Halloween treats

Spend time creating delicious treats such as pumpkin spice cupcakes and lattes. Try the recipes shared in this issue!

2. Enjoy a scary movie night

Invite your friends over and come up with a list of scary movies to watch throughout the night. Don’t forget to turn off the lights to let trick-or-treaters know that they will not be receiving any candy.

3. Crawl over to the Rise of the Jack O’ Lanterns

The exhibition showcases over 5,000 delicately hand-carved illuminated jack o’ lanterns featuring Disney, Marvel, and Peanuts themed pumpkins. Locations in the Los Angeles area include the Los Angeles Convention Center and Fairplex in Pomona.

4. Explore the Los Angeles Haunted Hayride at Griffith Park

Find out what the theme of Secret Society has to offer to the event. Don’t forget to enter the Ouji: Origins of Evil Maze. The doors of the Old Zoo open at 7 p.m. and close at 10:30 or 12 a.m. on Oct. 26- 31. General Admission is $44, while VIP is $60.

5. Visit the Fall Fun Festival and Haunted Zone at Grape- vine

Attend the local Fall Fun Festival consisting of trunk-or-treating, free family photos, and games from 5 to 9 p.m. The Haunted Zone and Frightening Maze will be open from 6:30 to 9 p.m. This fun, free event will take place tonight at Grapevine Arbor Park, located next to the Mission Playhouse.

6. Stop by the Queen Mary’s Dark Harbor

Join the ghosts lingering around the haunted Queen Mary. DJs will provide live music throughout the night. Visit the newest maze, Lullaby, for an extra scare. Tickets start at $20 and the event will run from 7 p.m. to 12 a.m. until the day of Halloween.