Breast Cancer Awareness Month brings needed attention to deadly disease

By Kaylee Chan | Junior Editor

With the current coronavirus pandemic sparking a health crisis to a scale never seen before, public health has emerged at the forefront of many discussions. This focus on health, however, has not translated into awareness of another fatal disease that deserves attention: breast cancer. This is what makes October’s designation as Breast Cancer Awareness Month all the more important, as it remains vital in honoring those who have been affected by breast cancer and promotes educational resources that can help save lives.

Breast cancer is a disease that is prevalent throughout the country, in a way that garners less attention than a virus such as COVID-19 but is damaging all the same. In the U.S. it is the most common cancer in women aside from skin cancer, with women having about a one in eight chance of being diagnosed with it according to the Fox Chase Cancer Center. Up to three million breast cancer survivors live in the United States today.

Breast cancer deaths are also an intersectionality issue. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), Black women die of breast cancer at a higher rate than white women, despite the fact they contract it at the same rate. As truths about sexism and racism in the medical field come to light, the way Breast Cancer Awareness Month gives room for women, especially women of color, to share their experiences with breast cancer should not be overlooked.

The spreading of resources during the month is another factor of its effectiveness. Early detection can increase the rate of survival up to 99 percent according to the American Cancer Society, and much of this detection comes from self-examination.

This relies on patients themselves to be able to identify the breast cancer symptoms, which can be difficult for people who do not have the opportunities for regular checkups. Breast Cancer Awareness Month, through countless volunteers and a robust social media presence, works to make that information readily available to those communities.

The education about breast cancer that is provided during the month also clears up misconceptions about the disease, such as that it is contagious, or that it only affects those who were born female. These myths and many more are addressed on the National Breast Cancer Foundation website, one of many which use the month to teach about breast cancer.

In an age of rampant misinformation concerning public health, events like these become even more essential in ensuring that people are knowledgeable about their physical well-being. However, in the end, a name is just a name, and having a nationally recognized month does nothing without a movement behind it.

Therefore, it is in the people where the true importance of Breast Cancer Awareness Month lies. Even students can make a difference, whether it’s through retweeting an informative thread, donating to a cancer organization, or wearing a pink ribbon when going outside. In the end, actions taken towards the promotion of breast cancer awareness during this month ultimately work towards the benefit of all.