Typical day in distance learning for junior

By Sabrina Huerta | Staff Writer

We are all used to waking up in the morning, getting ready, and driving to school. I used to meet with some friends, get something to eat, go to class, and then go to cheer practice. But all of this has come to an end. Now, we all stay at home and attend online school through a computer screen. 

Instead of waking up at 6:30 a.m. to be at school by 8:00 a.m., I wake up 30 minutes before my first Zoom meeting at 8:30 a.m. In that short time, I brush my teeth, wash my face, feed my dog, and then make breakfast. After I do all of that, I change into a comfy outfit like a t-shirt with sweats and start my  class. 

Once that class is over, I usually go on Tik Tok, Instagram, or text some friends. Sometimes I get a snack and prepare to go on Zoom for my second class. Once my second class is over I will eat lunch and go on my phone. I also play with my dog and watch YouTube while I wait for the last class of the day to start. 

On Mondays and Thursdays, I have U.S. History, but Tuesdays and Fridays are my favorite because I get to go to practice for cheer. My coach, Bronte Ku, usually has us condition, but some days we do team bonding and fun activities. I am really thankful that I still have my team to talk to because we help each other get through this global pandemic. 

Once school is over I usually spend time with my family, eat, FaceTime some friends, and do homework. Eventually I will go to bed at around 10:00 p.m. or 11:00 p.m. 

I have grown to like online school. Most students do not like it at all because they miss being on campus and hanging out with their friends. But, for me, being at home makes me less nervous, since I am more of an introverted person. 

For class presentations or even getting called on by a teacher, I do not feel like I am on the spot with everyone watching during virtual learning. I also get extra sleep because I do not have to actually get fully ready and drive to school, which requires me to wake up much earlier because of the traffic going down San Gabriel Blvd.

But despite the positive aspects, I think it is starting to hit all juniors that we only have two years left of high school. And, for me, personally, I want to make the most of it. So, I am praying that we can go back to school next year for my senior year.