Gabrielino greets Assistant Principal Genisauski

By Lam Chung | Staff Writer 

Nicholas Genisauski

He’s referred to as “Mr. G” among those in the know, however, many students still aren’t aware that there is a new assistant principal at Gabrielino High School: Nicholas Genisauski.

Over the span of 15 years, Genisauski has taken on a few different roles, such as being an English teacher, a dean of students, and an assistant principal. With his diverse experience, it is clear why he was hired to replace former Assistant Principal Ruth Esseln, who moved into a district position this summer. 

Heinrich explained how Genisauski won over the interview panel when she stated that “he was down to earth and his personality looked to be a good match with the other personalities on the GHS administrative team.”

Overseeing attendance, special education, career and technical education, and student management alongside Assistant Principal Vince Lopez, Genisauski is in charge of some of the most pivotal aspects of student life. 

Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 and the school campus closures, the new assistant principal has not yet experienced the reality of Gabrielino’s bustling hallways and vivacious spirit days. However, Genisauski is determined to combat this setback.

“I think it’s tough to enter a new environment where you haven’t really met the students or staff in person,” Genisauski confessed. “Being very thoughtful of the words you choose and communication is key.” he continued, “There’s a lot of emotion behind this, and I have to make sure people feel heard and are taken care of. However, we will get through this, life will move on, and what we experience now should make us more resilient.”

For his part, Genisauski has adjusted well to Gabrielino. He has been working hard in order to learn about the school’s traditions and programs, as well as to meet the students and staff through virtual classes and meetings.

“I feel for Mr. Genisauski because he is beginning at GHS in the middle of a pandemic. He has not had the opportunity to meet our teachers, parents, and students in person,” Principal Heinrich stated sadly. “It is very difficult to build relationships when the only interaction is through email and Zoom meetings. […] he has not been able to see how GHS truly operates.”

Not only has Genisauski dealt with the present hardships that come alongside COVID-19 and online schooling, but he has also planned for the future of Gabrielino.

“I want to assist in building our CTE program and getting students and staff to reach their full potential,” he explained. “I’d really enjoy being able to see how Gabrielino has grown over the years in an ever changing world.”

From the beginning, Genisauski showed great enthusiasm and efficiency in the eyes of the Gabrielino staff, making for a promising year under his watch.

“Mr. Genisauski is very student centered and that came through in his resume and interview,” Heinrich explained. “The interview panels were impressed with his desire to provide a vibrant learning and co-curricular experiences for students.”

From what he has brought to the table so far, Gabrielino seems to be in good hands. With his beaming personality and his hard working nature, Assistant Principal Genisauski will definitely become a distinguished name at Gabrielino in no time.