“Le Petit Prince” asks us to reevaluate what means the most to us

By Halle Fukawa

“Toutes les grandes personnes ont d’abord été des enfants.” All adults were once children. 

Despite the fact that “The Little Prince” by Antione de Saint-Exupery was first published in 1943, the nostalgic story continues to impact readers today. Especially during this time of crisis, it’s a great book for when we need to be reminded of what really matters in our lives and why. 

“The Little Prince” is one of those books that, no matter how many times I read it, I always find new meaning in its pages. Put simply, it’s a story told by an old pilot reflecting on the time his plane crashed in the desert, where he meets the strange yet charming little prince. While the pilot works on his plane in order to get home, the little prince recounts stories of his travels from a small planet in space and teaches the pilot that, in order to see the world clearly, he should abandon the foolish beliefs of adults and view things the way a child might. 

Now that government-mandated quarantine has put a pause on many aspects of our lives, many of us (especially students) are beginning to realize just how hectic our lives were before. I was reminded of a chapter in “The Little Prince” where our prince meets a salesman who sells a hydration tablet so that people no longer need to drink water. The salesman informs the little prince that, by taking this tablet, someone could save fifty-three minutes a week. The prince then replies, “If I had fifty−three minutes to spend as I liked, I should walk at my leisure toward a spring of fresh water.”

This is only one of the small stories this little prince shares in the book, but this is the kind of insight it lends to the readers. It’s a book of friendship, romance, and loneliness. For lack of a better phrase, this book shows the flaws of the human condition through the logic of a child. 

There’s a character which the little prince leaves behind on his planet called Rose, who he believes is the only flower of her kind. However, upon landing on earth he finds that there are a million roses just like her. Distraught, he seeks the friendship and guidance of a fox, who teaches him what it means to tame, or to create ties.   

Reading this book again during this time of crisis, I was reminded how important it is for us to stay sympathetic to the people around us. While physical distancing may make us feel like we are alone or cut off from the world, “The Little Prince” reminds us that the ability to miss someone and to be missed is the greatest gift because it means we are still connected to one another. 

This is a great story for anyone of any age and background, and should definitely be added to your quarantine reading list. 

4.5/5 stars