Letter to the editor

I am writing in response to a story that appeared in the news section of the last edition of the Tongva Times. The story is titled “Santa Anita racetrack cause of animal abuse”. The story discusses the number of horse deaths that have occurred at the racetrack and states that “Gabrielino High School community should take a stand against the
    mistreatment of horses at Santa Anita Park by withdrawing graduation from the facility. We should all stand by what is right, not what is convenient, and hold graduation on our home turf.”

Given the story is not an opinion piece, I think it is important to clarify some of the information regarding
    graduation. The article states that it would be less expensive to hold graduation in Eagle Stadium. The Administration explored this in 2012. A cost analysis was done and holding graduation at GHS is considerable
    more expensive than the cost of renting Santa Anita Park and Racetrack.
    To hold graduation at GHS would require the following: rental of bleachers, rental of field cover, rental of chairs, rental of stage, rental of buses for shuttling people from parking areas at other district schools. The cost to rent the
    bleachers alone was a $1000 more than the Santa Anita Contract. In addition, given the limited space at GHS, we would have had to limit families to 2 tickets-even with rented bleachers. After adding all the costs and examining
    the issues related to seating and parking, the Administration determined it would be too expensive and inefficient to use Eagle Stadium. Multiple venues were researched in 2012 including surrounding junior college stadiums and the facilities at Azusa
    Pacific University. Santa Anita was ultimately selected because of its proximity to GHS, the beauty of the venue and backdrop, the abundant seating for families, and the free parking. I would also like to point out that Arcadia High School graduates at the racetrack. Alhambra USD schools also graduate at venues other than their football
    fields. I rarely question stories in the Tongva Times. However given the call to action in the story, I feel it is important that all facts be considered before a course of action is pursued.
    – Principal Sharron Heinrich