Justin Bieber’s “Changes” woos the ears

By Jaclyn Quan 

For the first time in four years, Canadian pop singer Justin Bieber debuted his latest studio album, “Changes.” Released on Feb.14, this is the singer’s fifth studio album since “Purpose” in 2015. The songs in the album consist mainly of R&B music infused with hip-hop and features collaborations with artists such as Quavo, Kehlani, Post Malone, and Travis Scott. 

Bieber’s newest album serves as a love ballad to express his profound appreciation towards his wife, model Hailey Bieber. “Changes” takes listeners on a journey to further explore and truly understand Bieber’s transformative views on romance through its intimate lyrics and melodies. 

Although I am not a fan of Justin Bieber, I found the majority of the songs in the album to carry empowering sentiments about love and relationships. While listening to the songs, I became strongly convinced that Bieber has grown significantly from his past relationships. His mature and heartwarming lyrics on love show how he is currently at a healthier stage in his life than ever before.  

One of his most touching songs I found was “All Around Me.” In this song, Bieber conveys his utmost gratitude towards Hailey by singing how she is a very important figure in his life. The intense feelings of devotion is expressed through the lyrics, “Never thought I could ever be loyal / To someone other than myself / I never thought I could ever be a spoiler / Guess anything is possible with your help,” which illustrates how much Hailey had impacted him and shaped him into becoming the person he is today. 

However, out of all the songs in the album, I think “Habitual,” best encapsulates Bieber’s feelings about his relationship. Through his song, he describes his love for Hailey as infinite, singing “My love for you’s habitual / Not for a moment / But forever.” By characterizing love as habitual, Bieber also wants listeners to know how serious and devoted he is as newly married man.  

Aside from being romantic, “Habitual” has a meaningful take on defining love as Bieber reminds us that a strong relationship is deeply rooted in the unconditional intimacy shared between couples. 

After hearing all 17 songs, “Changes” is an album that is definitely worth streaming on Youtube or Spotify, and Beliebers will not be disappointed. Bieber’s profound lyrics, meshed with harmonic melodies and catchy tunes, has the ability to cause listeners to fantasize a relationship fueled with passion and romance.