Eagles spark awareness at Ovarian Cancer Night

By Leslie Lim 

Guest Writer

On Jan. 15, Gabrielino High School’s basketball teams held their tenth annual Ovarian Cancer Night against Rosemead High School. The girls JV team played at 3:15 p.m., followed by the boys varsity team at 4:45 p.m., while the girls varsity team ended the night at 6:30 p.m..

Starting the night off, the girls JV team held their own against the Panthers, but unfortunately experienced a loss, 27-32. However, the girls kept a positive attitude and did not let it detract from their overall experience of the event. 

“I was excited for [the night] because it was different as a player on the court instead of being in the audience,” stated point guard Elaria Limas, sophomore. “It was an honor being the first team to open up this amazing event.”

The boys varsity team faced off against Rosemead and although they remained confident that they would win, they still put their all into the game. The game ended with the Eagles victorious, 73-45. 

“I think we played really well at Ovarian Cancer Night,” stated starting point guard Tyler Lam, senior. “It’s one of the best games I’ve played on a varsity team and it was partly due to how Coach Carney was encouraging us to play better for the night and cause.” 

The Lady Eagles, however, faced a tough challenge against the nearly undefeated Rosemead team. Throughout the game, the girls attempted to close the gap but were unable to, losing 47-57. 

“We need to help one another and the people we are trying to support,” guard Yvonne Yu, junior, stated. “If we put a lot more effort into our game then it will mean a lot more to the people we’re playing for and the cause.” 

Ovarian Cancer night began ten years ago with the intent to raise money and awareness. Since then, the event has raised over $15,000 stemming from the donation box, t-shirt sales, and the 50/50 raffle. 

In the weeks before the event, all girls and boys basketball teams sold shirts for $10. Shirts were black and teal, as teal is the color for ovarian cancer awareness. 

Prior to the girls varsity game, varsity player Amanda Brunjes, senior, spoke about the history of the campaign and Jenny Wu, a Gabrieino alumni whose mother unfortunately passed away due to ovarian cancer. 

The event was created by boys varsity basketball coach and former girls basketball coach John Carney in order to honor Debbie Williamson, a former faculty member at Gabrielino. 

According to Medical News Today, ovarian cancer affects women’s ovaries and is the fifth leading cause of cancer related deaths. 

“We all get these shoelaces and put a part of the event onto the court and play with pride for the cause,” said starting point guard Kiara Limas, senior.