‘Educated: A Memoir’ warms hearts of readers

By Leslie Lim

Tara Westover spins an intricate picture of family, loss, and the deep struggle for education in a radically Mormon household in her book “Educated: A Memoir.” When I read the synopsis online, I knew I had to read it because the simple description of a girl who persevered against the odds was interesting to me. The moment I picked up the book from the school library, I could not put it down until I flipped the last page.

Westover was born into a fundamentalist Mormon household where her parents were largely abusive and keep their children out of school. It was only when she turned 17 that she stepped foot in a classroom and opened her eyes to the world beyond her life of junkyards and danger.
    The autobiography not only showcases the startlingly reality of those in the United States without access to education, but it also demonstrates the fortitude of human will and the ability to be greater than the circumstances one is born into. Her life is also symbolic of the diverse nature of knowledge and how ignorance can divide families.
    Although I was excited to read the book, I did not realize the profound change it would have on me. Living n San Gabriel, where education is valued and desired, I take for granted the supportive family and education opportunities that others are not given.
    I cried as Westover learned math skills taught to me in middle school, and as she persevered to catch up on 12 years of schooling in a mere few months. Every single emotion Westover feels is eloquently conveyed through her writing throughout the book, she brings the audience along as she experiences drastic ups and downs in her life.
    Not only that, but the genuine rawness, yet elegant nature, of her writing fully immerses the audience into her life. It felt as if I was watching her life play and my hands were not quick enough to turn the page.
    ‘Educated: A Memoir’ is truly stunning and I would encourage everyone to read it, especially those who have taken for granted the value of education. It is a heavy and somber novel, but the true story is about winning against the odds and is uplifting at its core.
    Westover has sold 450,000 copies of her autobiography since its release date in 2018 according to pbs.org.