USPS delivers packages of joy to children

By Jaclyn Quan

On Nov. 18, the United States Postal Service (USPS) launched its annual Operation Santa, allowing children to send in their Santa letters to select USPS locations. From there, the Postal Service receives uploads the letters onto their website, uspsoperationsanta.com, and anyone willing to donate can fulfill these Christmas wishes.

Anonymous volunteers can register on the site and respond to a letter before packaging and bringing the gifts to USPS.
    Currently, letters are being received from 15 U.S. cities, including Los Angeles and New York City.
    Since the start of the program, there have been numerous volunteers responding to children’s letters. The program ran out of letters within a week after the website’s launch. Despite shortages, USPS has urged more children to write to Santa and provided them with a letter-writing template on the Operation Santa website.
    “While it is good to [receive a lot of responses], we are encouraging everyone to send in their letters so we can get [them] uploaded to the site to help as many kids as we can.” Kim Frum, a U.S. Postal Service senior public relations representative, stated to USA Today.
    Some of the most interesting items that letter recipients have requested include a Harry Potter LEGO set, a Nintendo Switch, and a pet lizard. Some children have also made non-material requests, such as wanting their family to remain happy and close-knit for the holiday season.
    A boy named Alex told Fox News, “I want a new iPhone and an unlimited data plan, but [my] number one [wish] is for my family to stay safe forever.”
    The goal of USPS is to help needy families during the holidays.
    Operation Santa has helped countless underprivileged American families by connecting them with generous donors since 1912.