Boys soccer suffers unfortunate losses, injury

By Brittany Snow

Today at 3:15 in the stadium, Gabrielino High School boys soccer team will face off against Marshall Fundamental High School. This will be the team’s fourth preseason game alongside their previous participation in the Temple City Tournament.
    Last season, the boys lost to Marshall, 0-3, at both the home and away games.
    The Eagles ended their 2019 season with a league record of 1-9.

“I believe that, as a team, we could improve on how we play games,” stated senior Luis Campos. “We should be willing to give our full throughout the 90 minutes and know that we [have] what it takes to win against anybody.”
    On Dec. 10, the Eagles played against Rowland High School, losing to the Raiders, 1-2.
    “We were up 1-0 the whole game until the last 5 minutes where we fell asleep and they scored two goals which led [Rowland] to win,” junior Willtur Cho stated. “It reminded us that we always have to be aware and continue fighting until the end.”
    GHS faced off against the San Gabriel High School in a home game on Dec. 9, but lost 2-3. Last season, the boys beat the Matadors in an away game, 2-1, so this year’s loss was a disappointment.
    On Dec. 7, the Eagles faced off against South Hills High School as part of the Temple City Tournament, but suffered a loss to the Huskies, 1-4. This was the team’s first encounter against SHHS.
    Earlier that afternoon, GHS played against Alhambra High School, but lost, 0-2, to the Moors as well.
    To kickoff the beginning of the Temple City Tournament, GHS played against Pioneer High School and secured a win of 2-0.
    “This season I look forwards to watching my teammates adapt and improve every game,” stated junior Wiltur Cho.
    On Dec. 5, the Eagles tied the Azusa High School Aztecs, 1-1.
    GHS faced off against the Northview Vikings for the first time since their 2017-18 season on Dec. 3. the Eagles lost, 0-4.
    The boys had their first preseason game against Bishop Amat High School on Dec. 2. In their first encounter against the Lancers, the Eagles lost, 0-6.
    On Nov. 21, GHS played a scrimmage with the South Pasadena High School Tigers at SPHS. The boys lost, 3-2.
    During the game, however, the team had to bench one of their notable players due to an injury on the field.
    Senior Colin Yee, defender, suffered a fall that ultimately fractured his clavicle, sidelining him for the rest of the season.
    “This was supposed to be one of my breakout years.” Yee shared. “I wanted to win a number of awards, but I won’t get the chance to anymore. It’s also my last year of high school sports and most likely the last time I will ever play with some of my teammates.”