San Gabriel Tree Lighting invites festivity

By Lana Hy
    Copy Editor

Despite the rain, families and friends gathered at San Gabriel’s Plaza Park to celebrate the city’s 43rd annual Holiday Tree Lighting on Dec. 3 from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. This event was sponsored by The San Gabriel Women’s Foundation and El Pavo Bakery.

Members of Gabrielino High School’s Key Club served vanilla and chocolate flavored conchas while Interact Club members passed out hot cocoa and coffee to everyone who attended the event.
    “Aside from helping out the community, my favorite part about volunteering was getting to see the Christmas decorations because [my family and I] don’t normally decorate our house,” said sophomore Celine Ma, member of Interact.
    At approximately 6:45 p.m., the ceremony began as the oak tree in the center of Plaza Park was lit. Attendees took videos to capture the moment while children met and took pictures with Santa Claus.
    “Seeing the kids being so [excited] about Santa coming to visit in a firetruck made me really happy,” said junior Cindy Chie, member of Key Club.
    Holiday performances were given by the Jefferson Middle School choir which sang “Jingle Bells,” “Silent Night,” and “Solfege Mambo.”
    “I think it’s great that we are able to represent the school district and be a part of a well-loved tradition of the city,” stated Rachel Chew, Jefferson choral director.
    Jefferson’s orchestra was also scheduled to perform but was unable to due to the rain.
    “I was looking forward to listening to orchestra’s performance,” said sophomore Katrina Marciano, member of Interact. “Even though they didn’t perform, I know they would have done well.”
    Live entertainment also included performances from The Dewey Woodcraft Rangers and Community Services Dance Classes. Audience members were also able to decorate ornaments, use the photo booth, enjoy dinner from food trucks, and hop onto a Trolley for a free ride around the San Gabriel Mission.
    In addition, participants of the tree lighting were asked to bring toys and non-perishable items for the Spark of Love Toy Drive, in which participants were entered into a prize drawing.
    “Overall, I really enjoyed coming to the tree lighting,” said junior Lauren Chung, event attendee. “It was a great opportunity for me to unwind and hang out with friends.”