Perez discovers artistic outlet in ceramics

By Ivy Kwok

“Ceramics is my favorite class […] I just think it’s really fun,” junior Bryan Perez noted thoughtfully.
    Perez possesses a passion for ceramics and enjoys expressing his creativity through clay.

“[He] comes to class everyday ready and excited to make pottery,” Ceramics teacher Teresa Hopper stated appreciatively.
    Perez, who took Introduction to Art last year, found that he liked the physical sculpting process and freedom of ceramics.
    Perez sees ceramics as an outlet to convey his artistic side. Perez spends the majority of his day in Community Based Instruction class (CBI), and uses ceramics as a way to express his creative spirit.
    CBI teacher Danielle Rodriguez states, “He’s here for the good majority of the day [so] I think [ceramics] gives [him] a unique opportunity.”
    Unlike other art mediums, ceramics requires one to physically use their hands to shape, mold, and carve away objects out of clay. Projects given in class allow students to be able to sculpt everyday objects like bowls, mugs, dishes, pots, and lanterns, which they can take home and use in their daily lives. Perez indicated that one of his favorite aspects of ceramics is the fact that he can show his projects to his friends and family.
    “I like that I can use [my pieces] when I’m done making them,” Perez stated simply.
    Perez added that building and designing things are aspects of ceramics he enjoys.
    “He’s really good at building stuff with his hands and putting things together,” explained CBI teacher aide Melissa Taite.
    Perez remarked that one of his favorite pieces was a mask he made recently that resembled an ancient artifact from the past. Perez is especially proud of this piece because he had never attempted something like this before and it was a completely new challenge.
    “It’s very freeing,” Perez mentioned. “I really like being able to make whatever designs I want.”
    Having the ability to freely express oneself is what attracted many people, like Perez, to ceramics in the first place. Unlike other subjects like English or math, Perez does not feel limited and is able to show a different side of himself.
    Taite explained, “I’m glad that with [ceramics], he can make his own designs and be as creative as he wants.”
    Perez appreciates that he is able to use ceramics as a way to express himself and his creativity.
    “[He] works very hard [and is] creative,” Hopper remarks brightly, “[He] produces amazing ceramic pieces.”