Democrats gain leverage in the 2020 election

By Annica Wu

Democratic party brought up an impeachment inquiry for President Donald Trump on September 24. This is based on allegations of Trump’s pressuring of Ukrainian leader, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, to reveal information about 2020 election candidate and Former Vice President, Joe Biden. Furthermore, Trump’s refusal to cooperate with the inquiry has provided the Democrats benefits in winning the 2020 election by fracturing the Republican Party.

Speaker of the House, Dem. Nancy Pelosi brought up Trump’s ”betrayal of his oath of office, betrayal of our national security and betrayal of the integrity of our elections.”

The Democrats will benefit more from the impeachment inquiry against Trump even though there are only a mere 13 months before the 2020 election because it sheds light on Trump’s abuse of power from his unconstitutional acts with Zelenskiy and his lack of compliance with the other branches of government. America’s core values are deeply violated by Trump, which give the Democrats an upper hand in the 2020 election. Since the republicans have only candidate, the impeachment of Trump will be detrimental to the Republican party. 

”227 House Democrats, one Independent and 0 Republicans in the House of Representatives say they support at least opening an impeachment inquiry into whether the president committed “high crimes and misdemeanors.” States the Washington Post. According to a poll by CBS news, 63% of Americans believe the trump administration should cooperate, putting the favorability of republicans actions in the minority. 

Trump hindered separation of powers when he refused to comply to congress’s request of testimony of his attorney, Rudy Giuliani and the release of documents of his misuse of federal funds. The three branches of government operate on the respect of the other branch’s requests and direction. When President Richard Nixon’s impeachment process was brought up and Supreme Court requested him to hand over the Watergate tapes–the recordings between Nixon and his administrators and family–he did, regardless of the implications on his presidency. Trump should do the same. 

Historically, no other party in which an impeachment inquiry was directed towards were able to secure the next election. 

According to CNN, “One is that in each previous case, the party that drove the impeachment won the White House in the next election: Republicans triumphed in 1868 and 2000, and Democrats won in 1976. Despite predictions of a backlash, in each case the country turned away from the president’s party in the succeeding election.”    Comparatively, support for Trump’s (63%) impeachment exceeds both Nixon and Clinton’s (35%) ratings at the time. The plethora of constitutional abuses by Trump gives the Democrats the benefit. Not only does ignoring the allegations present threats to our democracy, it pushes the notion that what president Trump has done is acceptable.

“The change among independents is enough that a majority of that group (55%) now favors Trump being impeached and removed from office. Support for impeachment was already high among Democrats, at 81%, but now approaches 90%., shows a poll by Gallup this week, “Just 6% of Republicans are in favor of Trump being impeached.”

The allegations against Trump significantly lower his chance of success in the 2020 election because no other president was able to succeed after an impeachment inquiry was brought upon him.