Hoax locks down campus

By Brittany Snow

On Sep. 19, Gabrielino High School students and faculty were put on a cautionary lockdown due to conflict in neighboring cities. 

The Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department (LASD) received a call from a man who claimed to be driving to Rosemead High, armedr with an AR-15 rifle. Minutes earlier, at about 1 p.m., deputies responded to a Rosemead home in the 3000 block of Walnut Grove Ave. following a call from a man who claimed to have shot his mother in the stomach with a revolver pistol. 

About an hour later, a caller claimed that a student was in possession of a rifle inside a bathroom in San Gabriel High School. This resulted in Alhambra Police Department officers to surround the school’s perimeter. 

At Rosemead High, officers dressed in tactical gear for precautionary measures scanned the school’s premises.

However, in all three locations, there was no shooter, victims, or weapons to be found. At the Rosemead home, deputies found a man unaware of the calls. 

By 3 p.m., these threats and possible shootings were deemed pranks, or swat calls.

In a public statement, Alhambra police said they were interviewing a student who may have placed the call involving the San Gabriel High incident. LASD investigators are working with multiple agencies to find the caller as well.

“Events like these result in uneasiness throughout the community, and I’m disgusted if people think it’s okay to make a call that requires the involvement of police, and results in parents worrying for their childs’ safety,” stated Ashley Kamel, junior. “Some people pull stunts like these for a moment of fame, or to get a reaction from people, which makes it that much worse.”

Each of the three schools took the possibility of a shooting as a serious threat. This meant that the three high schools went into a lockdown which lasted until the end of the school day. 

“There’s always a possibility of a threat, especially with recent school shootings,” stated Michelle Li, sophomore. “I didn’t believe that there was a real threat but it’s always best to react appropriately and be prepared for these types of situations.”

Many students were unaware of the situation, until students from neighboring communities took to social media the ongoing events.

“I felt like I wasn’t in much danger because I saw on Twitter that the commotion was occurring in neighboring cities.” stated junior, Tiffany Truong. “The recent attention on school shootings contributed to my emotions during the lockdown because I felt more desensitized to this happening to our school due to the media.”