Volleyball spikes to successful start

By Lana Hy

Copy Editor

Today at 3:15 p.m., the Gabrielino High School girls varsity volleyball team will compete in an away game against South El Monte High School. 

Last season, Gabrielino beat South El Monte both times they played against them. 

“We aren’t expecting an overwhelming game but we aren’t underestimating our competition,” stated junior Zoe Perez. “We’re just ready to play hard and smart.”

On Friday, Gabrielino played against Marshall Fundamental School for the second time this season. Scores were not available at press time.

The team faced El Monte High School on Wednesday. Scores were not available at press time. 

On Sept. 20, the Lady Eagles went up against the Rosemead High School Panthers and won, 3-0. Although the girls played in a different lineup than they were used to in each set, they were successful throughout the game. 

This game against the Panthers was the Eagles’ fifth game of the first round of Mission Valley League Championships. 

“During league, we sometimes face teams we can beat easily,” stated senior co-captain, Kayla Villalobos. “Stooping down to their level can be an issue at times but that was not the case with Rosemead.”

Gabrielino utilized effective communication as well as confidence to defeat the Panthers. All three sets were over within an hour as the Lady Eagles finished off with a dominant performance. 

Gabrielino played against Mountain View High School on Sept. 18 and were victorious, 3-0. 

GHS competed against Arroyo High School (AHS) and won, 3-0, on Sept. 16. The girls’ defense and serving helped them prevail over AHS in each set. 

The Lady Eagles played against South El Monte High School on Sept. 11 and won, 3-0. 

On Sept. 6, Gabrielino secured a win, 3-0, against Marshall Fundamental School. 

The girls went up against Duarte High School on Sept. 4 and defeated the Falcons, 3-0.

Gabrielino faced Ayala High School on Aug. 29 and secured a victory, 3-2. 

“Last year, we lost to Ayala in a five set [game],” said GHS coach Cuong Chau. “Knowing this, the girls knew they had to fight harder to win this tough battle against [Ayala].”

On Aug. 27, the Lady Eagles suffered their first loss, 2-3, against Schurr High School (SHS).

SHS won the first set while GHS made a comeback by defeating SHS in the second and third set. However, the Lady Eagles were unable to maintain their high energy for the rest of the game.

“[In the fourth set], one of our teammates landed hard and injured herself,” said Villalobos. “Our focus was on her and we let Schurr take the fourth and fifth set.”

The Lady Eagles lost the final set against Schurr, 13-15. Despite it being a tough game for Gabrielino, the girls persevered and gave it their all. 

On Aug. 22, Gabrielino defeated Mayfair High School, 3-2. 

The girls played their first game of the season against Mark Keppel High School and walked out with a win, 3-0, on Aug. 20.