New faculty enjoys life in the nest

By Michelle Dang 

Imagine the first day of school at Gabrielino High School. Students walk through the gates into the campus of the school, greeted by welcoming staff and eager teachers. This sounds like the morning of a typical freshman student, but Gabrielino also brings five new teachers to the nest. 

In the 2019-2020 school year, Gabrielino welcomes computer programming and statistics teacher, Brandon Heine, Spanish teacher, Jessica Magana, algebra teacher, Grant Mizuno, geometry teacher, Ivan Tang, and special education teacher, Danielle Rodriguez. 

From their experiences of teaching for the Eagles so far, the teachers agree that students are different compared to schools they previously taught at. Students are prepared for class and remain disciplined. 

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen students so eager and attentive to learn,” Magana commended. “It’s rewarding to teach students who enjoy being at school.” 

Aside from the students, the new teachers repeatedly mentioned the cordial staff on campus. 

“As soon as I got here, I was greeted by the principal and assistant principals,” stated Mizuno. “They made me feel welcomed and like I’ve become part of a family.” 

Compared to other schools, the small population of Gabrielino makes it easier for a tight-knit community. 

“Everyone on campus is very friendly,” Rodriguez revealed. “Since the school is so small, it makes it easier for everyone to know each other.” 

One of the struggles that the new staff has been facing is becoming familiar with life on campus. The teachers have to be comfortable with new faces and learn the bell schedules and locations of each room. 

Tang commented, “Although the schedule is still confusing to me, I like that I get more time to teach and not have to feel rushed everyday.” 

In comparison to their other schools, the transferred instructors find Gabrielino to be the most erudite school. 

“What stood out to me is that [Gabrielino] is a lot better at telling you what you need to know,” Heine stated. “The expectations are a lot clearer.”  

The impression that Gabrielino has left on the new teachers have been far from negative and they continue with hopes of returning to teach again. 

“There’s not one reason why I would want to go to any other school!” exclaimed Tang.