Peanut Butter Falcon for Dream

By Chan Eum

Imagine a childhood dream that was too silly or unrealistic like being Superman, the greatest movie star, or an explorer. Those dreams were mocked as we grow up and learn about the real world. But those dreams had already rooted into our hearts and no cruel reality can take them away. “The Peanut Butter Falcon” will bring those dreams back.

“The Peanut Butter Falcon” is an adventure film about a boy named Zac (Zack Gottsagen) who has down syndrome, a genetic disorder that causes intellectual disability, body deformity, and growth delay.

Knowing this much, I was worried before I watched the movie. I knew that many films used disabled people, LGBTQ people, minors, and seniors to squeeze sympathy out of the audience, and I was concerned that “The Peanut Butter Falcon” would do the same.

But after 15 minutes in the theater, I forgot all about Zac’s disability, and instead, I found myself falling deeper and deeper in love with this young and innocent character trying to escape from his nursing home to become a professional wrestler.

Although Zack Gottsagen had down syndrome himself, his acting was surprisingly fluent and even emotionally touching. As an English Language Learner, I admired Zack’s talent and effort he put into the movie despite his disabilities. 

“Some of the other actors were intimidated when doing a scene with Zack because he was not faking it, he was living it,” said Michael Schwartz, the director of Peanut Butter Falcon. 

Besides the great acting, “Peanut Butter Falcon” provides a romantic journey of Zac achieving his dream by capturing the beautiful scenery of the Atlantic coast and strong friendship between Zac and Tyler (Shia Saide LaBeouf).

Tyler is a 32 years old man who lost his best friend by his drunk driving. He first refuses to take Zac on his way to Florida, but soon, he changed his mind when Zac tells Tyler his story. Tyler promises Zac that he will take him to the wrestling school.

They swam across a river, nearly got hit by a shrimp boat, camped on the beach, decided Zac’s wrestling name, Peanut Butter Falcon, were baptized by a blind man along the way, and convinced Eleanor (Dakota Johnson), who was a volunteer for Zac’s nursing home to come with them on their adventure. Together, they finally found an old house that faded throughout time. It was supposed to be the wrestling school they were looking for, but what’s in front of them was an old man who quit teaching wrestling 10 years ago.

After watching the movie, I sat until the ending credits were over to savor. The movie was never boring or uncomfortable as some might worry. It was beautiful, humorous, and romantic. It is definitely a good film and it will leave a smile on your face.

Peanut Butter falcon 93 minute PG-13 modern Mark-Twain-style film that will invite you to Zac’s journey. The movie tickets are available on Fandango, movietickets.com, and theater. The estimated release date for the DVD is November.