High prices burden low-income students

By Thomas Chung

Copy Editor

School dances and annual yearbooks are known to bring fun and solidify memories for many at Gabrielino High School. Yet, these benefits do not come to fruition for students who choose to pass on these joys simply because they cannot afford them. Low-income students should never be denied a yearbook or admission into a school dance because they do not have enough money to pay. Instead, Ash-a-wut and ASB should implement payment policies that accommodate low-income students.

According to Gabrielino’s 2017-2018 School Accountability Report Card, 62.1 percent of students are categorized as “socioeconomically disadvantaged.” The number is estimated to be around the same this year. While these students do receive free or reduced prices for school lunches, standardized testing, and college applications, there is no system where price adjustments are made for purchases like school dances and yearbooks.

A yearbook started out at $85 in the beginning of this school year and ended with a final price of $105. For students without ASB or ASB Gold designation, the Homecoming Dance ticket price was $30. Gabfest tickets were $23. Prom tickets cost an exclusive price, starting at $105 in the first week of sales and ending at $125 during the last week. No discounts were given to those with ASB and ASB Gold during GabFest and Prom. Because of these prices, students wishing to go chose to miss instead.

“I chose not to attend [Prom] because of the price, if it was a little cheaper, I definitely would have attended,” stated senior Alejandro Pasten.

The money gained in profit through these yearbooks and ads allows for Ash-a-wut to buy new equipment and to improve yearbook quality for upcoming years. The profits made from ASB allow for poster making supply purchases, club transportation, and other expenses. However, high prices are still economically unsavvy.

“High prices do not necessarily equate to greater profits. In many cases, high prices simply persuade customers to do without the product or service,” wrote small business columnist C. Taylor of the Houston Chronicle. “This is especially true for low-income customers who cannot afford to pay a premium.”

Ash-a-wut and ASB should adopt sliding scale pricing, an improved system which establishes a set range for the price of a yearbook or ticket and allows for students to pay what they can afford. Low-income students would pay the amounts in the lower range while students who are not socioeconomically disadvantaged would be encouraged to pay in the upper range, allowing them to sponsor or help a peer without as much means.

“By offering sliding scale prices, you expand your customer base to all income ranges, while still maximizing profits made from sales to customers who can afford the full price,” Taylor wrote.

Adopting sliding scale pricing is beneficial for everyone. Ash-a-wut and ASB could maximize profit, high income-students can charitably support their peers and, perhaps most importantly, low-income students could attend dances and obtain yearbooks without worrying about finances.