Note to self, be true to yourself

By Michelle Dang

4 years. 10 AP’s. 4.6 GPA.

These sound like the qualifications for a valedictorian candidate and for senior, Kenny Le, that is just the case.  

Throughout high school, Le was involved in many activities including math club and current events club, and Speech and Debate. Le has been an extemporaneous speaker leader for two years and dedicated majority of his time to the class.

“It has shaped my high school career,” stated Le. “And although I might not have won, or been as outspoken as many of my peers, I feel like what’s been most valuable to me is the growth that I’ve seen in myself.”

His proudest moment was delivering his senior speech to the underclassmen in Speech and Debate this year. It was a reflection of how hard he has been working and perseverance with Speech and Debate regardless of whether he was good or not.

Le has taken ten Advanced Placement classes during his four years of high school. Some of the AP classes that Le has taken include: Physics C, Physics 1, Government, Compsci, Calculus BC, Calculus AB, English Language, US History, Statistics and World History.

One thing he would have done differently in high school was to be more focused. Le spent his time going with the flow of things but regrets not taking the classes that would have helped him in the future.

“I’m not as innovative as I should’ve been,” state Le. “I ended up trying to copy and paste other student’s academic profiles instead of being true to myself and what I want to do.”

Le’s parents have always encouraged him to do well in school but were never adamant about it and allowed him the freedom to do what he wanted. His goal was never to become valedictorian or even a contender. The classes and extracurriculars that he participated in were just to prepare him for the school that he wanted to attend.

“Personally, when I heard [that I was a contender] it was fulfilling to me,” stated Le. “But I think it’s just a recognition of what I’ve done in high school and my academic performance.”

In the fall, Le has decided to attend the University of California, Los Angeles after having applied to Cal Poly Pomona, the University of Southern California, the University of California, Santa Barbara, and the University of California, San Diego. He plans on majoring in business economics but wants to dip his feet into physics too.