Pondevida paves a way for the future

Roy Kwon

12 advanced placement classes. 4.8 grade point average. Four years.  

Carlos Pondevida, senior, demonstrated high levels of academic and extracurricular achievements throughout his four years in High School. Pondevida is hard working and has an insatiable desire for self improvement.

“I honestly love learning, whether it be about scientific and mathematical concepts or studying literature,” stated Pondevida. “Every new insight is a step forward and I intend to take countless more.”

Pondevida attributed most of his success to his parents who are his role models. Having originally been from the Philippines, his parents put in a tremendous effort to get their family to the United States in 2005.

“To me, the hard work they put in for my future inspires me to become someone who can make them proud,” commented Pondevida. “From a young age, my parents have always inspired me to do my very best. They’re the most amazing people I know.”

As a national merit finalist, Pondevida was able to display his academic competence even on a national scale. Being a national merit finalist means he stands at the top 15,000 students from the initial pool of 1.6 million applicants.

However the road to success was not an easy task, even for Pondevida. There are always a few bumps in the road.

Pondevida stated, “A big challenge for me in high school was keeping myself motivated. Faced with a seemingly endless onslaught of homework, tests, and projects, it’s so easy to give up. But I think we owe it to ourselves to keep trying, to believe in the work that we put in.”

Pondevida will be attending the to University of California San Diego, majoring in bioengineering with a focus on biotechnology. He was one of the top five percent that received the Regents scholarship given by UCSD. This scholarship is one of the university’s most prestigious scholarships where only the highest academic achievers can receive.

Pondevida’s fondest high school memories are tied to cross country. Having spent four years with some of the same people, there is much sentimental value in the sport for him.

“Carlos was always an interesting individual. One day he would show up as a bum with oversized clothes, and another day he would show up as a handsome boy with piercings and a black leather jacket.” stated senior Yuta Horii, Pondevida’s teammate.  “But one thing that stayed consistent was his desire to learn and to grow whether that be in class or out at the track.”

“Being a big nerd, running cross country was something a bit out of left field for me, but is something I’m infinitely glad I did. It has let me meet some of the most amazing people ever and given me an irreplaceable family,” said Pondevida. “I encourage everyone to reach outside their comfort zones for new experiences because you never know what’s out there if you don’t try.”