Japan’s emperor abdicates throne to son

By Cassidy Liu

Copy Editor

On April 30, Emperor Akihito stepped down from the Chrysanthemum Throne, officially handing the throne over to his son, Crown Prince Naruhito, thus ending the Heisei era.

For the first time for over a century Japan will have a current and former emperor alive at the same time. With Japan’s Imperial Household Law stating that a new heir can only ascend the throne after the death of the current emperor, Akihito’s decision caused Japan’s parliament to pass a law making his abdication an exception. Japan now has to face the question of whether future emperors can abdicate the throne.

However, Takeshi Hara, a political scientist and expert on Japan’s imperial system at the Open University of Japan in Tokyo, told the National Public Radio that Akihito’s renouncement of the throne could actually be detrimental to Japan’s government as different loyalties between the two emperors will cause a division among the citizens.

“When I consider that my fitness level is gradually declining,” Akihito said in his 2016 televised address to the Japanese people. “I am worried that it may become difficult for me to carry out my duties as the symbol of the state with my whole being, as I have done until now.”

At the age of 59 years old, Naruhito is now Japan’s emperor, and he leads with Crown Princess Masako. Given that they only have one child, Princess Aiko, the country now has to face the question of who will succeed Naruhito since Japan’s current law prohibits women from inheriting the throne.

“I’m sad but also hopeful about the next era. I hope it will be a peaceful, gentle period for the second half of my life,” said Masatoshi Kujirai, a Japanese citizen, told BBC.

According to NBC, Akihito is so different and loved compared to other emperors because while previous emperors rarely interacted with the public, Akihito was compassionate in his throne and was comfortable speaking directly to the people. When Japan’s natural disasters hit, Akihito and his wife visited disaster shelters to support the affected victims.

“Akihito brought the monarchy closer to the people,” Jeff Kingston, a professor at the Temple University Tokyo campus, told the Los Angeles Times. “He won Japanese hearts and established a moral authority during a period when the throne could have faded into obsolescence.”

In the final few weeks of his reign, Akihito toured the country, waving to crowds and performing rituals at shrines to symbolically inform his ancestors that he is going to step down. With a majority of Japanese citizens believing that the emperor is like a living god, they warmly welcomed Akihito in his humble efforts to travel the country.

“It was a happy thing for me to be able to fulfill the responsibilities of the emperor with deep trust and love for citizens,” Akihito announced in his abdication ceremony. “I appreciate with all my heart that citizens accepted and supported me as a symbol.”