On My Block Season 2

By Giovanni Galvez

Season two of the Netflix original series,  “On My Block,” was released on March 26. Already the show has proven to earn a strong 4 out of 5 stars.

The show is a comedy about  four 15 year-old friends, Ruby (Jason Genao), Monsea (Sierra Capri), Jamal  (Brett Gray), and Cesar (Diego Tinoco), who are experiencing high school for the first time, and have to deal with personal family issues, as well as the dangers of living in South Central Los Angeles. Along the way, viewers are left with suspense, romance, and sadness throughout both seasons.  

The start of season two is a follow up of a shocking cliffhanger at the end of the first season

A strong aspect that I quickly found relatable, not only to myself but other hispanics as well, was Ruby’s hispanic household. From the grandma living with them, arguments about religion, the use of home remedies and black magic, to parents holding a grudge, Ruby’s household is a realistic yet comedic portrayal of what it is like to be part of the hispanic culture.

Director Lauren Iungerich and the script writers have done a great job in using Cesar as the stereotypical hispanic with no parents and was raised by a gang. In the midst of a rivalry that separates blacks and hispanics, Cesar breaks the separation by having a group of friends who are a mix of the two races. Spreading the message that no one has to follow stereotypes placed on them.

However, one flaw I saw within the show was a poor representation of how easy it is to fool the system of authority. It felt as if the showrunners were telling viewers that, doing wrong is ok as long as you are not caught.

There is one scene I appreciated that showcased of an unexpected yet heartwarming turning point between Cesar and his brother, Oscar (Julio Macias). Both Tinoco and Macias greatly portrayed the emotions of two brothers’ love for each other.

From what could be seen, the setting of the show was authentic to the South Central Los Angeles image as no city outside of South Central Los Angeles was used.