Boys swim streamlines its way to success

By Roy Kwon

Last Friday, the boys swim team competed at League Finals at Schurr High School. Results were not available during press time.

The Eagles swam at League Prelims on, April 23 and the top 12 finishers made it back to finals. The Eagles have always made it to League Prelims for the past decade and competed against six other schools in the first round.

The Eagles made their way over to the annual Mt. Sac Invitational on April 13. The invite is a two part meet with the top 27 athletes in each event moving on to finals the next day. Senior Elton Chan, co-captain, sophomores Joshua Hu and Andrew Ngo, co-captain, and freshman Jason Kong swam the boys 200 freestyle relay and came in one second shy of the school record, with the time of 1:30.04. Chan also advanced to Finals for the 100 freestyle where he placed 27 out of 138 swimmers, with the time of 50.92.

“Ever since my freshman year I saw making finals as a marvelous achievement only a selected few earned,” Chan stated. “After barely missing finals my junior year, I wanted it even more. Making finals this year was a personal testament that hard work and perseverance pays off.”

In addition, at the invitational, the boys managed to qualify for CIF in the 200 medley relay, 200 freestyle relay, and 400 freestyle relay.

On April 11, the Eagles  swam against Montebello High School and won, 130-30, for their final league meet of the season.

GHS faced off against Bell Gardens High School on April 2 and came out victorious, 137-16.

On March 21, the team took on Mark Keppel High School, and swam a hard meet and suffered a loss, 66-104. For the past decade the eagles have mainly been competing against their rivals for the title of League Champions.

“It was my first time losing my individual races so I felt very pressured,” stated Ngo. “But I kept in mind that I usually win at invitationals and league meets.”

GHS took on Schurr High School on March 20, and clutched a win, 111-59.

On March 14, the Eagles swam their way to victory against Alhambra High School, 137-21.

In their second league meet of the season against San Gabriel High School on March 7, the Eagles beat the Matadors, 130-38, starting their season off with a strong start.