Track and Field flies away victorious

By Megan Tran

Copy Editor

This Saturday, those who qualified at League Finals will compete at CIF when they travel to Estancia High School.

On April 18, the Gabrielino High School varsity track and field team squared off at the Mission Valley League Finals, which was held at Rosemead High School. GHS came home victorious with 13 competitors placing in their individual events despite performing at a difficult meet.

With a time of 51.56 seconds in the girls 4×100 relay, seniors Joy Hano and Ivy Voong and sophomores Adelaide Esseln and Madeline Tao ended in first place. In addition, senior Skyler Hudson placed third in both the boys 800 and 1600.

Junior Jefferson Tran placed third in boys pole vault with a height of 11 feet.  

“Being able to reach a new personal record at League Finals was a huge accomplishment for me and really showed me that all my hardwork and practice paid off,” stated Tran. “I hope next season I am able to improve and reach new heights.”

In the boys 110 hurdles, junior Donovan Sanin ran a 42.38 and placed a close second behind Mountain View High School. Hano also achieved second in the girls 300 hurdles with a time of 47.11 seconds.

Senior Julian Thai ended first in the boys long jump, triple jump, and high jump.

Jason Tang, senior, reached 42 feet in boys shot put, which placed him third in the event.

“The track meet was such a surreal experience because it’s my last league finals,” stated Voong. “I felt ecstatic that we were able to defend the title for league champions for the 4×100 by placing first and advancing to CIF Prelims.”

On March 29, both the boys and girls teams reigned victorious against El Monte High School. The boys team won, 79.5-55.5, and the girls ended with a clean sweep, 82-53.  

“At the Woodbridge Invitational I was ecstatic because after countless hours of practice I surpassed my old personal record with a score of 21’11.25” for the long jump and a 6’4” for the high jump,” said Thai.

On March 21, the boys and girls team triumphed over Marshall Fundamental High School, 101-26 and 100-23, respectively.

Both team secured another win against South El Monte High School on March 14, 98-33 and 89-37, respectively.

On March 12, the boys and girls team faced off against Mountain View High School in an away meet. The boys wiped out the competition and won, 96-40. The girls sprinted to victory, 115.5-13.5.

The Eagles tied against Rosemead High School on March 7, 68-68, and the Lady Eagles suffered a loss, 42-94.

“The Rosemead meet was really invigorating because we had a lot of team spirit and the moral was always up despite tying in the end,” said junior Tyler Yang.   

At a home meet against Arroyo High School the girls team flew to victory, 73-64, but the boys team was defeated, 54-85.