Girls swim dives through season with winning streak

By Courtney Tsao

Staff writer

Last Friday, the varsity girls swim team kicked off their first round of the Almont League Finals at Schurr High School. Scores were not available during press time.

The Lady Eagles took part in League Prelims on April 24, the league meet that allowed the top swimmers to advance onto League Finals. Scores were not available during press time.

On April 13, the girls participated in their seasonal league invitational by competing against 32 high schools at Mt. San Antonio College. The overall top 27 swimmers from the invitational were able to move up to finals, including  senior co-captain Victoria Sam and sophomores Daniela Acosta, Alexis Lay, and Wendy Yu, who came in 10th place for the 400 freestyle relay with a time of 3:44.81, beating Gabrielino High School’s all time record for the event.

During the finals, Sam also placed fifth out of 92 competitors in the 100 backstroke with a time of 1:00.00.

On April 11, the team faced Montebello and won, 126-29, which marked the conclusion to an undefeated season.

“Going into season, our girls were a lot stronger than recent years,” Sam, stated. “It was one of the reasons that brought us closer together to work harder and to create big goals for ourselves.”

On April 2, the girls swam against Bell Gardens High School and won, 132-19, which showed the girls’ persistence to perform well at the peak of their season.

The team went against Mark Keppel High School on March 21. Despite feeling the fatigue from the swim meet the day before, the Lady Eagles were able to clutch a victory, 99-71.

In the past seasons, MKHS remained a strong opponent for GHS as the team known to hold the title of League Champions for more than a decade, and to have double the number of swimmers than GHS.

“I was nervous because they have been undefeated for so many years,” Yu said. “We went against one of our biggest competitors in league, but in the end, we managed to pull through as a team.”

The Lady Eagles were welcomed by Schurr High School on March 20 as they got ready for a meet that eventually resulted in a win for the girls, 96-74.

For the past three years, SHS remained victorious over GHS with their wins from season meets, proving to be another strong competitor for the girls.

On March 14, GHS walked away from the swim meet against Alhambra High School with another win added to their season, 120-37.

In the meet on March 7, the team faced off against San Gabriel High School and won, 134-36, which marked a strong start to their new season.