Ly teaches children at the YMCA

Cassidy Lee

“I enjoy interacting with the kids and seeing the way they talk with you,” expressed senior, Lawrence Ly. “ Since they still haven’t matured, their outlook on life is so bright.”

Ly, a swim instructor at YMCA, has been teaching children aged one through four. Ly’s family greatly influenced his decision to take a position as a swim instructor.

“At first I didn’t want the job since I wasn’t that good with kids,” revealed Ly, “ but because my little sisters take swim lessons there and my mom was close with the aquatic director, she encouraged me to gain some work experience there.”

A normal workday for Ly consists of leaving school, heading straight to the pool, and starting his first class at 3:30. After teaching 4 classes, Ly checks out of the YMCA at 5:45.

“I really like the environment that I work in because the pool is really clean, and most of all I like interacting with the everyone there.” stated Ly.

Ly also has also befriended many of his colleagues at YMCA, including lifeguards and other instructors.

Though often working alone, Ly also receives help from his supervisor. His work consists of teaching young children the basics of swimming, including how to float and how to hold their breaths underwater.

Ly also successfully manages balancing school with work.  

“I only work 2 days a week so it’s not that hard, I just sleep later on days that I have more work to do.” explained Ly.

Though enjoying every aspect of his current part-time job, Ly does not believe that it will influence his career choice in the future. He has decided that he wants to pursue art as an occupation later in life.

“I don’t think that it’ll directly affect my career later on as an artist, but if I become an art teacher then that would apply.” stated Ly, who hopes that his work with children will help him in his future career.

Ly also believes that his part-time job has taught him how to manage his money more efficiently.

“After I started working my mom stopped giving me money, so I had to learn to be wise with what I earned.”

Besides learning how to manage his finances more efficiently, Ly has also become more responsible and dependable through his work as a swim instructor. His part-time job at YMCA has encouraged him to grow and become a more motivated individual.