San Gabriel’s All City Pentathlon

By Leslie Lim

On March 16, the Community Services Commission hosted the All-City Pentathlon at Jefferson Middle School. Featuring a variety of different events including the 200-meter run, 50-meter dash, 100-meter dash, long jump, softball throw, running long jump and standing long jump.

A tradition that has been here since 2015, the pentathlon invited elementary and middle school students from all over the San Gabriel Unified School District to join the competition from 9 a.m to 1:30 p.m. The top finishers will then move onto the state pentathlon.

The competitors have been practicing three times a week for nearly a month, all of them guided by coaches from the Community Services Commission.

“The best part is seeing the kids and how far they’ve come until now,” stated Christin Villalobos, coach for Coolidge Elementary School. “And that’s the best reward, seeing their work pay off.”

The division of the competitors was decided by the year they were born, meaning that those born in 2007 could only compete with those born in 2007.

Many parents came out to show support for the activity and their children, often wearing shirts of the school that they support.

“I think [the pentathlon] is fun, builds her confidence, and makes her a better person,” stated Crystal Jimenez, parent of a competitor. “It makes her more comfortable with competing and it’ll help her going into high school track and field.”

Gabrielino Interact attended the event in order to set up the jumps and assist the organizers.

“Our presence helps out with the event and brings the community together,” stated sophomore Sammi Zhang, Interact member.

Members of the Community Service Commission, many of them college students, worked throughout the day managing the different events and ensuring that the right times and distances were recorded.

“It’s great because not only do they learn sports, but they learn that having discipline goes a long way,” stated Diego Ruiz, a Community Service Commission member and coach for Mckinley Elementary School.

The event concluded with the medals presented to the competitors that won the all-around for their age division.

“It gives them a positive outlet instead of engaging in technology and helps with their health and teamwork skills,” stated Angela Perez, parent of a competitor.