Raising funds for ovarian cancer

By Roy Kwon

Gabrielino High School held their ninth annual Ovarian Cancer Night, featuring both varsity basketball teams, on Jan. 11. The games were against El Monte High School. The boys played at 4:45, while the girls game began at 6:30.

The Eagles faced the El Monte team, who are ranked fourth in league. Although the eagles are ranked third, they still had to put all they had into the game, because as of halftime the Eagles were 31-41.

During the second half of the game, the hours of practice the Eagles put in, translated to the lost points being made up. The Eagles were tied at 57-57, causing the game to go into overtime where they finished 74-64.

“As a senior, it was a great experience to win my last Ovarian Cancer Night game,” stated senior Johnny Nishimoto. “I feel as a captain, talking and hustling really made this win happen. No matter how good someone is on offense, defense will always win the game.”

On the other hand, the Lady Eagles worked as a team to secure another victory, 62-16.

“Overall we really enjoy Ovarian Cancer Night because it raises awareness for something that women battle,” said Coach Desiree Almaraz. “The girls play with extra excitement today because they’re playing for a greater cause.”

In preparation for Ovarian Cancer Night, athletes from both boys and girls basketball teams sold shirts for $10 which helped fund for the fight against Ovarian cancer.

This campaign was started by the boys varsity basketball coach John Carney and former girls varsity coach Thomas Shima to honor Debbie Williamson.

Williamson, a former employee at Gabrielino of 16 years, was diagnosed with stage IV ovarian cancer on September 11, 1996. More cancer was found in 1997, but Williamson had a short break before relapses in 2008, 2010, and 2012.

Proceeds not only came from the shirts that the athletes sold, but from the tattoos, bracelets, and the 50/50 raffle tickets, that were sold inside the gym. Alec Carmona, the current athletic trainer, won the 50/50 raffle and received half of the proceeds.

Currently, Williamson is doing well and has 4 grandchildren. The USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center Fund (CCCF), was what made all that possible.

Ovarian cancer ranks fifth in cancer deaths among women, accounting for more deaths than any other cancer of the female reproductive system. A women’s risk of getting ovarian cancer during her lifetime is about 1 in 78 and dying from it is 1 in 108, according to the American Cancer Society

“It was an honor to play for those who were affected by Ovarian cancer,” said senior Matthew Mutuc. “It really motivated and pushed me to play better for the team and the school.”