From chemistry to news and outer space

By Brittany Snow

In Room F201, Dave Cameron teaches chemistry to sophomores and other upperclassmen. During the embedded time trial weeks, he will be teaching Astronomy and Current Events to students who signed up for the class in early December.

“I think astronomy is something kids don’t get in science in their high school years,” stated Cameron.

The astronomy portion of the class will focus on what is relevant to the city of San Gabriel, and what you can see at night and during the day. The class will also encompass other aspects that are occurring throughout the world in relation to astronomical advances.

“[There are] so many different things and issues, the world is a complex place and maybe talking about it will make it a little better.”

Opposite the astronomical lessons, students will be able to discuss topics of their choosing during this embedded time.

Cameron plans to guide the class as far as he can to focus what is going on in San Gabriel, Los Angeles, California, the United States, and around the world.

With this class on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the trial weeks, Cameron hopes students take away an appreciation of the natural world and the complexity of people in society.

“[I think] current events is important because of how many different news sources there are now for students. [But] astronomy is a bigger perspective than our tiny city and where we live, it gives us a huge range of other places.”