Japan continues with commercial whale hunting

By Cassidy Liu

Copy Editor

On Dec. 26, 2018, Japan announced their withdrawal from the International Whaling Commission (IWC), a global body dedicated to conservation of the whales, in order to continue whale hunting in July.

The IWC issued a moratorium in 1986, which placed a probation on hunting whales after the animals were almost hunted to extinction; however, Japan continued their practices by claiming they were conducting scientific research while selling whale meat. Although the Japanese persisted on their hunts, they limited their catches in the Antarctic by setting an annual quota of 333 whales.

“This means that Japan is now openly declaring their illegal whaling activities,” stated Paul Watson, founder of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, a non-profit organization targeted to protect marine life. “No more pretense of research whaling.”

The reasoning behind Japan’s sudden decision stems from their belief that the IWC focused too much on the conservation of ocean mammals. In addition, Japan believes the IWC did not meet their standard of progressing towards a more sustainable whaling industry, one of their official objectives.

Whale hunting has had a significant impact on Japan’s traditions given that most many local communities rely on whaling to sustain their diet. Even though whale meat consumption has plummeted drastically in the span of five decades, eating whale meat is still ingrained in some of Japan’s cultures.

“Whaling will be conducted in accordance with international law and within the catch limits calculated in accordance with the method adopted by the IWC to avoid negative impact on cetacean resources,” stated Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary, Yoshihide Suga.

Japan has also announced that, in addition to their withdrawal, they plan to completely remove themselves from hunting in the Antarctic Ocean along with majority of the Southern Hemisphere.

“Most of the bureaucrats will fight to keep the whaling section in their ministry at all costs,” explained Junko Sakuma, a former worker for Greenpeace in Japan, to BBC. “If the issue is closely related to their constituency, they will promise to bring back commercial whaling.”

Many believe that Japan’s choice to extract themselves from the IWC will influence other IWC members to follow the same pattern. Both Norway and Iceland have also been practicing whaling since the moratorium was put in place, so Japan’s withdrawal could pose a threat to the protected whales’ population.

“The declaration […] is out of step with the international community,” said Sam Anneley, Executive Director at Greenpeace Japan. “Let alone the protection needed to safeguard the future of our oceans and these majestic creatures.”