The Ten: Best Rom-Coms

By Kaylan Kha

Editor in Chief

1. “500 Days of Summer”

“500 Days of Summer” begins by warning audiences that it “ is not a love story.” The movie, told in a non-linear format, follows the relationship between Tom and Summer. Seemingly perfect for one another, Tom and Summer show audiences the ups and downs of a relationship—something most rom-coms fail to do.

2. “Love, Rosie”

“Love, Rosie” shows the reality behind meeting the right person at the wrong time. Through countless missed opportunities, it almost seems as if Alex and Rosie are not meant to be. But, the universe is a funny thing, as it has a way of making sure that soulmates find their way back to each other.   

3. “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days”

Most people want to find a significant other, but columnist Andie Anderson attempts to do the opposite. From making baby photo albums to taking care of a love fern, Andie’s stereotypical tactics to drive men away makes “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Day” both funny and captivating.

4. “Crazy, Stupid, Love”

Cal had everything: the perfect wife, family, and job. Yet, when his wife files for divorce, Cal’s life begins to unravel at the seams. Lost and confused, he turns to Jacob, a self-righteous player, for help navigating through both life and the realm of dating. So yes, love is crazy and stupid.

5. “She’s the Man”

In order to play on the soccer team, Viola disguises herself as her brother. Torn between proving a point and falling in love, Viola struggles to balance her new identity with her love life. Iconic lines like “I like gouda” and “I get really bad nose bleeds” ensures that “She’s the Man” will not disappoint.

6. “13 Going on 30”

At age 13, there is nothing better than being anything but 13. Luckily for Jenna, her 13th birthday wish causes her to wake up as a 30 year old. Yet, when her life turns out to be the opposite of her dreams, Jenna realizes that adulthood is not what everyone makes it out to be.

7. “50 First Dates”

Henry managews to impress Lucy once, but soons learns that once is not enough. Lucy has short-term memory and is incapable of remembering anything that happened the day before. Time and time again, Henry finds different ways to woo Lucy and time and time again, he makes her fall in love with him.

8. “When We First Met”

Noah meets the girl of his dreams, but somehow cannot figure how to get the girl. With the help of a magical photo booth, he is able to travel back in time to the first day he met her and is given a second chance to make things work out this time around.  

9. “10 Things I Hate About You”

Based off of Shakespeare’s play “The Taming of the Shrew,” “10 Things I Hate About You” provides a clear example of the fine line between love and hate. Patrick tries to win Katherine over as part of a bet, but is only met with hostility. With his persistent nature, Katherine learns ten things she hates about him—the last one being that she actually loves him.

10. “Clueless”

As a satirical take on the life of Hollywood’s elite, “Clueless” is loosely modeled after Jane Eyre’s novel “Emma.” The movie focuses on the life of Cher, a high school girl who takes it upon herself to help a clueless classmate rise to popularity. While trying to help someone else find love, Cher fails to see that she was the one who needed to find it all along.