The Neighbourhood’s return lacks dynamism

By Jannelle Dang

Features Editor 

3.5 stars

Following two EPs dropped in September and January, The Neighbourhood culminated its return to the music scene with the release of its third studio album on March 9. The self-titled album blends the American indie rock band’s hallmark sounds with new beats in a tracklist of 12 songs that, while adventurous in some aspects, ultimately falls short of the band’s past golden age.

The majority of the album recalls the immediately distinguishable combination of electronic beats and deep, melancholy vocals that The Neighbourhood is known for. “Nervous,” which was released as a single on March 1, is most reminiscent of the smooth, atmospheric allure of the band’s music. The song sets the tone of the album by introducing a slow-paced rhythm and more soft and reflective themes in contrast to the angst and rawness of previous records. In this song lead singer Jesse Rutherford explores the constraints of expectation and perfection, as well as the pressure and anxiety that often accompany them.

This track is followed up by “Void,” which also touches on emotional conflict through its message about struggling to deal with loneliness. Soothing synthetic beats in the background contrast the sadness in the lyrics, turning the song into one that audiences can easily sing along to and connect with.

Although the first half of the album is dominated by sentimental vibes and love, “Softcore” interjects with a fast-paced, pop tune that incorporates techno noises to ramp up energy. It is an anthem for the independent, who find themselves struggling to continue sharing their lives, space, and heart with a partner that leaves them feeling worn down. The remainder of the album rides similar synth waves that have served as the undercurrent tying all of the songs together.

However, “Sadderdaze” is by far the highlight of the album, as it hits closest to home and touches the heart. Rutherford speaks to the audience through clear vocals and muted background acoustics, making this song the most authentic and least infused with electronic beats. He discusses how his life has been changed by success and fame, but the lyrics can also apply to anyone who wishes for a return to the happier Saturdays of the past. A choir of children’s voices and an acoustic breakdown conclude the song, making it a comforting tone for rainy days.  

Despite the newfound sentimentality and calmer rhythms featured in this album, “The Neighbourhood” leaves the impression of repetitive sounds that can put listeners in a lull. With the exception of a handful of upbeat tracks, the album for the most part sounds similar. Electronic influences on each song make it easy for them to blend together, resulting in lacking levels rather than cohesiveness.

As a whole, the album raises hope for a new path the band will pursue and leaves listeners in an introspective mood. Yet, it fails to herald a dynamic comeback for them. Perhaps “The Neighbourhood” may mark an era of more growth in the group’s range and appeal, but it begs for more diversity in sound and misses the qualities of hit songs that can get everyone singing and moving. For now, The Neighbourhood’s iconic 2013 album, “I Love You.”, remains the pinnacle of their career that has yet to be beat.

WC 540